Doctor; application for a license to practice medicine in the case of training in a third country

Doctors can apply for a license to practice medicine if they have completed their medical training outside an EU member state, an EEA member state or Switzerland and wish to work as a doctor in Bavaria.



Approval is subject to various requirements relating to successful completion of studies, personal and health suitability for practicing the profession and sufficient German language skills.

Applicants who have completed their training outside the European Union and the European Economic Area can only be granted a license to practice if they have an equivalent level of training, provided that all other requirements are met.

If the equivalence of the level of training is not given or can only be determined with unreasonable time or material effort, an equivalent level of knowledge must be demonstrated. This proof is provided by passing a knowledge test that covers the content of the state final examination.


You must submit the application for licensure together with the required documents to the government of Upper Bavaria.

We recommend that you seek advice beforehand.

  • The Koordinierungs- und Beratungsstelle Berufsanerkennung (KuBB) supports and advises employers and individuals seeking recognition on the recognition of foreign qualifications. Further information can be found under "Further links".
  • The Central Service Center for Professional Recognition (ZSBA) serves as a central point of contact for applicants throughout the entire recognition procedure. Further information can be found under "Further links".
  • For assistance with the application procedure/entry, you can also contact the International Placement Services (ZAV) . Further information can be found under "Further links".

Special notes

The granting of a license to practice medicine or a professional permit requires, among other things, that you have the necessary knowledge of the German language to practice your profession. The 87th Conference of Health Ministers in 2014 agreed in a key points paper on the requirements for knowledge of the German language and how this knowledge can be demonstrated. The following applies:

1. the required German language skills are deemed to be proven for applicants for whom the licensing authority determines without doubt that German is spoken and written fluently (e.g. as a native language) or that the completion of medical, dental, pharmaceutical or psychotherapeutic training (proof of training) was obtained in German.

2. proof of the required German language skills is generally deemed to have been provided if the applicant has completed at least ten years of general schooling at a German-speaking school or has completed at least three years of vocational training in German.

3. if proof is not deemed to have been provided in accordance with 1. or 2. above, the language skills required for practicing the profession shall be deemed to have been proven by submission of a certificate of successful completion of the specialist language test at the Bavarian Medical Association.

4 Specialist language tests taken at the Medical Association or the competent authority of another country, as well as specialist language tests from other examination institutions, are recognized as proof, provided that it is guaranteed that the examination there is equivalent to the specialist language test at the Bavarian Medical Association. Whether this requirement is met in individual cases must be clarified in advance with the relevant professional licensing office.


A license or permit is not required for merely temporary and occasional medical activities (services). For the provision of services, it is sufficient to register with the competent authority and submit certain documents (see "Related topics").


The application for approval is not subject to a time limit.

Required documents

  • Birth certificate/parentage certificate or extract from the parents' family register

    (certified copy)

  • if the name used differs from that on the birth certificate: proof of a change of name (e.g. marriage certificate)

    (certified copy)

  • valid proof of identity (e.g. passport)

    (certified copy)

  • complete and personally signed curriculum vitae

    (tabular and chronological list of the training courses completed and the relevant gainful activities pursued, stating the periods (month/year) and enclosing the relevant supporting documents)

  • Proof of impunity

    • Submission of criminal record extracts from all countries outside Germany in which the applicant has resided for more than six months.
    • The criminal record extracts must not be older than three months at the time of submission.
    • Certified copies of these extracts must be submitted.

  • Proof of your completed education (certified copy)

    • Proof of education such as diploma
    • If applicable, further country-specific certificates
    • Overview of subjects completed during studies with number of hours and grades
    • If applicable, proof of compulsory internships completed

  • Proof of authorisation to practise medicine in the country of training and/or the country of origin

    (certified copy)

  • if applicable, certificate of good standing (certified copy)

    (Required from all countries where the health professional activity has already been exercised in the last five years. This certificate must not be older than three months at the time of its presentation).

  • If applicable, evidence of activity in the medical profession (e.g. certificates of employment and further training).

    (original or certified copy)

  • Curriculum/study book, if applicable

    (in original)

  • Proof of the language skills required for practicing the profession

    (Proof can be provided in different ways. You can find more information on this under "Special instructions").

  • On separate request:

    • Certificate of good conduct, document type "O", if the applicant has already stayed in Germany for more than six months in the past or has had or still has a place of residence in Germany.
      • In Germany, this must be applied for at the registration office of the place of residence, stating the purpose "Approbation as a doctor". The certificate of good conduct is sent directly to the competent authority by the Federal Office of Justice.
      • It must not be older than one month at the time of submission.
    • Medical certificate (original)
      • It must be issued and signed by a general practitioner or internist practising in Germany or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or in Switzerland and bear a practice or clinic stamp. If the practice or clinic stamp is not available in German, a German translation of the stamp is required.
      • It must not be older than three months at the time of presentation.


Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.

Online procedures


  • If you have not completed your medical training in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and the equivalence of your training or level of knowledge needs to be checked, you will have to pay EUR 400 for your license to practice medicine. In addition, there may be expenses for an expert opinion to determine the equivalence of the level of training or for a knowledge test.


Administrative court proceedings; information

Administrative court action


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit, Pflege und Prävention

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.