You will receive the firearms license for a maximum of 3 years. You can have the firearms license extended twice for a maximum of 3 years.
You can obtain a firearms license to carry firearms that require a permit. A distinction is made between firearms that require a permit and firearms that do not require a permit. To be allowed to carry firearms without a permit, you need a small firearms license (see further information). A list of weapons for the acquisition and possession of which you do not need a permit can be found in Annex 2 of the Weapons Act.
It is recommended that you inform yourself in detail about the regulations of the Weapons Law before applying.
With the weapons license you are allowed to possess a weapon outside of
- your own home
- your own business premises,
- your own contented property (e.g. your own garden) and
- a shooting range
to carry. If you carry the weapon, you must have the firearms license with you and be able to identify yourself with an ID card or passport.
To obtain the firearms license, you must
- have the appropriate age and
- Your need,
- your reliability under weapons law,
- your personal suitability,
- your expertise in handling weapons and ammunition,
- liability insurance covering personal injury and property damage in the amount of 1 million euros, and
- the safe storage of weapons and ammunition
Whether you (continue to) meet the requirements will be rechecked at renewal.
If you move to another city or municipality, you do not have to have your firearms license rewritten.
If you handle weapons and ammunition without the required weapons license, you may be subject to a fine or imprisonment.