Statutory accident insurance covers you against accidents at work and on the way to work as well as against occupational diseases. As an entrepreneur, self-employed person or volunteer, you are generally not covered by statutory accident insurance. However, you can take out voluntary insurance.
This also applies to
- assisting spouses (wives and husbands) or life partners who are not employed by the company,
- persons who work in the same way as an entrepreneur. These are persons who work in corporations or partnerships (GmbH, KG, GmbH & Co. KG):
- either as a shareholder-managing director with at least 50 percent of the company's share capital or, in accordance with the provisions of the company's articles of association, are able to prevent all resolutions by other shareholders
- or hold more than 50 percent of the share capital of the company as an associate partner without an executive function or are able to prevent all resolutions of other shareholders in accordance with the provisions of the articles of association.
There are cases when entrepreneurs are insured against accidents by law. Volunteers may also be compulsorily insured in certain cases, for example in the healthcare sector. If this applies to you, you can take out supplementary insurance. This allows you to adjust the benefits to your personal needs in the event of an insured event.
The employers' liability insurance associations and accident insurance funds regulate the details of insurance, such as contributions and the calculation of cash benefits.
If you are voluntarily insured in this sense or have taken out supplementary insurance, you can change the sum insured at any time.
The professional associations and accident insurance companies set the upper and lower limits of the sum insured. The chosen sum insured should correspond to your actual income. It is the basis for calculating premiums as well as cash benefits such as injury benefits and pensions.
Insurance begins the day after your application is received by your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund.
An application is required to apply for, change or cancel voluntary insurance or supplementary insurance.
A change or cancellation is possible at any time.
You can choose the time of termination. If you do not specify a date, the insurance ends with the month in which the notice of termination is received by your Berufsgenossenschaft or Unfallkasse.
Retroactive termination is not possible.
In certain cases, no notice of termination is necessary, but the voluntary insurance or supplementary insurance will expire automatically, for example, in the event of
- non-payment of premiums,
- change of the employer's liability insurance association or accident insurance fund,
- discontinuation of the company,
- departure of the insured person from the company, or
- death of the insured person.