Maternity leave; application for reimbursement of paid remuneration
When employees are prohibited from working during maternity leave, you as the employer initially incur costs, for example, for maternity pay and employer allowance. You can apply for reimbursement of these costs from the statutory health insurance funds.
- An employee is pregnant or breastfeeding.
- An employment relationship exists.
- The employee is a member of a statutory health insurance fund and is entitled to sick pay.
To be reimbursed for your financial expenses as an employer, you must submit a claim to the person's health insurance company. Note the following steps:
- Immediately after becoming aware of the pregnancy, you must inform the supervisory authority responsible in your federal state.
- You can find an overview of the supervisory authorities on the website of the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (BMFSFJ).
- Contact the statutory health insurance fund of the person concerned and submit the application early.
- If you have any questions, you can contact the employer service of the respective health insurance fund.
- You must submit the application for reimbursement to the relevant health insurance fund by secure and encrypted remote data transmission from system-approved programs or by means of automatic completion assistance. Information on this can be obtained from the relevant health insurance fund.
There are no deadlines.
The processing time depends on the health insurance company of your employee.
- Medical certificate stating that the pregnant or breastfeeding employee is not allowed to work or is unable to work
- medical certificate confirming the expected date of birth
- Risk assessment in the case of a company employment ban
- Appeal. Detailed information on how to file an appeal can be found in the notice of your application.
- Administrative court action
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium für Familie, Senioren, Frauen und Jugend
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited