Grant winter money; application
If your company belongs to the construction industry or has the same status and you have work stoppages during the so-called bad weather period, you can receive winter allowance under certain conditions and thus partially compensate for the loss of pay of your employees.
For example, if a construction company cannot carry out construction work in the months of December to March due to snow, seasonal short-time allowance or supplementary benefits can partially compensate for the loss of pay. It is intended to relieve the burden on your company and help preserve jobs.
The winter allowance is limited to companies in the
- in the construction industry,
- the scaffolding trade,
- the roofing trade and
- gardening and landscaping.
The winter subsidy is intended to relieve the burden on your business and help you to retain jobs. In order for you to receive the winter allowance, the law requires that your company compensates for or avoids lost pay by releasing working time credits for this purpose. Employees can be granted winter allowance of up to EUR 2.50 net per hour for each hour of their working time account that is used, if this avoids the need to claim seasonal short-time allowance. The winter allowance is limited to lost hours that fall within the regular working hours of the company. Overtime lost, on the other hand, cannot be partially compensated with winter allowance.
The period is limited to the months of December to March.
Supplementary winter pay can only be paid to employees who are subject to compulsory insurance. Salaried employees and foremen are not eligible.
Further information can be found on the website of the Federal Employment Agency.
You can apply for grant winter allowance in case of
- temporary and unavoidable loss of working hours
- for economic reasons or
- for weather-related reasons or
- as a result of an unavoidable event, and
- Dissolution of working time credits so that no seasonal short-time allowance is claimed.
- Your business belongs to the construction trade, scaffolding trade, roofing trade or gardening and landscaping trade.
- Your business or business department employs at least 1 employee.
- Employees who are employed commercially and subject to compulsory insurance, who have not been given notice and with whom no termination agreement has been concluded either
- working time credit is dissolved
You can apply for the grant winter allowance in writing or online.
If you want to apply for the winter allowance in writing:
- You dissolve the working time credit to compensate for the employees' work loss.
- You pay the remuneration and the winter allowance to your employees for each hour of the working time credit and pay social security contributions.
- You apply for reimbursement of the winter allowance monthly in arrears to the relevant department of the Employment Agency (application for seasonal short-time allowance and settlement list).
- The employment agency checks the application and the settlement list; approved winter allowance is transferred.
- After the end of the bad weather period, the Employment Agency checks the submitted settlements and, if necessary, corrects the approved subsidy winter allowance.
If you want to apply for the grant winter allowance online:
- Access the "eServices" portal on the Federal Employment Agency's website.
- Log in with your user ID and access the application for seasonal short-time allowance.
- Fill out the application, upload the payroll list and send the application.
- The Employment Agency will review your application and documentation.
- You will receive a decision on your application from the Employment Agency.
- The remaining procedural steps correspond to the written procedure.
The receipt of subsidy winter allowance is tax-free.
You must submit the application within 3 months of the end of the calendar month for which you wish to apply for subsidy winter allowance.
Your request will usually be processed within 15 working days. (0 bis 15 Werktage)
- Application for seasonal short-time allowance (S-Kug) and supplementary benefits
- Settlement List for Seasonal Short-Time Allowance (S-Kug) and Supplementary Benefits - Attachment to Application for Benefits
- Action before the social court
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bundesministerium für Arbeit und Soziales
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited