Artists' social insurance fund; advice for self-employed persons who are not insured

The Künstlersozialkasse will advise you on all issues relating to artists' social insurance.


As a self-employed artist or journalist, you may be required to take out insurance through the Künstlersozialkasse (KSK).
If necessary, you can contact the KSK. The KSK

  • informs you about insurance in the statutory health, nursing care and pension insurance,
  • informs you about your rights and obligations in connection with insurance, and
  • advises you on registration.

In addition, the KSK will advise you on request on the following topics, among others:

  • Is artists' social insurance a compulsory insurance?
  • How can you insure yourself through the KSK?
  • What requirements do you have to fulfill?
  • Are you a self-employed artist or journalist?
  • How high are the contributions and costs?
  • What benefits does the KSK provide?
  • What are the advantages of the KSK?
  • Are there special regulations for newcomers to the profession?
  • Can you have another self-employed activity or dependent employment on the side?
  • When can you insure yourself as a student via the KSK?
  • Can you choose private health insurance?
  • When and how can you register with the KSK?

Self-employed artists or journalists only have to pay half of their contributions themselves. A federal subsidy and the artists' social security levy paid by the companies finance the other half of the contributions.


You are not yet registered with the KSK as an artistically or journalistically self-employed person.


Contact the KSK:

  • Ask the KSK questions by phone or in writing or
  • request information on artists' social insurance by e-mail.
  • The KSK will inform you in writing, by telephone or by e-mail.


You do not have to meet any deadlines.

Processing time

by telephone: usually none
in writing or electronically: usually 1 to 5 days

Required documents

  • Required Documents

    You do not need to submit any documentation.


  • There are no costs for you.


No legal remedies are provided.

Status: 29.08.2022

Responsible for editing: Bundesministerium für Arbeit und Soziales

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.