Apply for a tax number for insurance tax or fire protection tax
Apply for a tax number to pay insurance or fire protection tax.
The Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt) is responsible for the administration of insurance and fire protection tax. Insurance tax and fire protection tax are registration taxes. The person who has to pay the tax has to calculate it himself, declare it and pay it to the BZSt.
With the insurance tax, the state taxes premium or contribution payments from insurance contracts. The person liable for the insurance tax is the policyholder. However, the insurer must pay the insurance tax.
In the case of the fire insurance tax, the state taxes the receipt of the insurance premium for fire insurance policies. Here, the insurer is the tax debtor and must also pay the tax.
For the payment of the insurance and fire protection tax you need a tax number. You can apply for a tax number by e-mail and by post from the BZSt.
When applying for a tax number, please enter
- Your full name,
- your address,
- a statement of the filing period (calendar month) for which the first tax filing is to be made, and
- an explanation of whether the tax return will be filed as insurer, agent or policyholder
Applications may be submitted by:
- agents and
You must submit your application for the allocation of a tax number for insurance or fire protection tax by e-mail or by post to the Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt).
- Write an informal message to the BZSt in which you request the allocation of a tax number for insurance or fire protection tax.
- Send the message to the BZSt.
- The BZSt will process your request.
- The BZSt will notify you of your tax number by post.
- for processing the application: 2 to 5 working days
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bundesministerium der Finanzen
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited