Market master data register; registration as a market player in the electricity or gas market
If you are a market player in the electricity or gas market, you must register in the Market Master Data Register (MaStR) of the Federal Network Agency.
As the central register for the energy transition, the Market Master Data Register (MaStR) records data on all relevant market players in the electricity and gas energy markets and, in a second step, on all generation plants:
- All new plants and all existing plants,
- Plants for the generation of renewable and conventional energy,
- Electricity and gas generation plants.
If you operate an electricity or gas generation plant (for example, photovoltaic plant, wind energy plant, combined heat and power plant, battery storage, biomethane plant), you must register it in MaStR. You are also obliged to register if no subsidy is granted or claimed for the electricity from the plant.
All running plants must be registered regardless of when they were commissioned - even if your plant has been running for many years. This means: even if you have already registered your plant in various other places, for example with your grid operator or in previous registers of the Federal Network Agency, you must register these plants again in the MaStR.
As a citizen (natural person), you can also register via forms in exceptional cases upon request.
Authorities can access the data in the MaStR. This allows them to either significantly simplify their own surveys or eliminate them altogether. Plant operators and other market players can refer to the data they have entered into the MaStR.
You do not have to meet any prerequisites.
If you would like to register yourself as an operator and your electricity and gas generation plants in MaStR, you can do so via the MaStR Internet portal:
- Access the MaStR Internet portal and first register as a user with a valid e-mail address.
- Log in to the MaStR Internet portal and register as a plant operator.
- Then register your unit in the second step.
- Upon successful registration, the system will provide you with your registration certificate with your registration numbers (MaStR numbers).
- You can make changes and corrections online at any time.
A deadline of 1 month applies to the notification of market players.
- Online procedure: none, registration confirmation can be printed directly
- Form registration: approx. 14 days (from application to receipt of registration confirmation)
The Market Master Data Register is the register for the German electricity and gas market. It is abbreviated MaStR. The market master data register is primarily used to register the master data for electricity and gas generation plants. In addition, the master data of market players such as plant operators, network operators and energy suppliers must be registered.
No appeal is provided.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Klimaschutz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited