Animal transport; application for authorization as a transporter.
If you want to transport animals, you need to be licensed as a transport company before you start your activities. The application must be submitted to your competent veterinary office.
Transporters who carry out transports of vertebrate animals in connection with an economic activity require an authorization depending on the duration of the transport.
Two types of approval are distinguished:
- Approval for transports with a duration of up to 8 hours (type 1).
- Approval for transports with a duration of more than 8 hours (long transport: type 2).
For a type 1 approval, you must meet certain requirements regarding your location/company headquarters, qualified personnel and handling in compliance with animal welfare legislation.
For a Type 2 approval, you must meet some additional requirements. The detailed information can be found in the "Requirements" section.
Approvals are granted for a maximum period of five years.
A shipment includes the entire transportation process from the point of shipment to the point of destination, including unloading, stowage, and loading at intermediate points.
If there are any changes to the information or paperwork you provided to your veterinary office as part of the approval, notify your veterinary office no later than 15 business days after the change.
Requirements you have to meet to get a type 1 approval (transport duration up to 8 hours):
- You are based in Germany or have a representative in Germany.
- You have proven that you have sufficient and suitable personnel as well as sufficient and appropriate equipment and procedures.
- You or your representatives are not known to have committed serious violations of Community and/or national animal welfare legislation in the last three years. If your veterinary office believes that you have sufficiently demonstrated that you have taken all necessary measures to avoid further violations, a license may still be issued, if appropriate.
Requirements you must meet to obtain Type 2 approval (transport duration longer than 8 hours):
- You meet all the requirements for a Type 1 approval.
- You have submitted valid certificates of competence for all drivers and attendants used for long transports.
- You have submitted valid certificates of registration for all road transportation equipment to be used for long hauls.
- You have submitted details of your procedures for recording and tracking your road vehicles.
- You have submitted details of your procedures for maintaining constant contact with your drivers.
- You have submitted contingency plans that come into play in urgent situations.
After you have submitted the papers and documents, they will be reviewed at the veterinary office and your information will be documented. You will then receive your approval.
If you are a farmer, you do not need a permit to transport your own animals in your own means of transport over a distance of less than 50 km from your farm.
You also do not need a permit
- for the transport of vertebrate animals that is not connected with an economic activity, as well as
- the transport of animals directly to or from a veterinary practice or clinic under the supervision of a veterinarian.
You must apply for approval before you start your activity. You may only start your activity after you have received the approval.
The following evidence and declarations are required for Type 1 approval:
- Evidence of sufficient and appropriate personnel
- Proof of sufficient and appropriate equipment
- Declaration that you or your representatives have not committed any serious infringements of Community and/or national animal welfare legislation in the last three years
- Declaration that you or your representatives have not applied for a license with any other competent authority in Germany or any Member State
The following verifications are additionally required for Type 2 approval:
- Certificates of competence for all drivers and attendants used for long transports.
- Valid certificates of registration for all road transport vehicles used for long journeys
- Proof that you can track and record the movements of your road vehicles and maintain constant contact with drivers
- Contingency plans that come into play in the event of an emergency
- Please check with your local veterinary office to see if you need to submit any additional documentation.
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited