Animal transport; application for approval as a transport operator
If you want to transport animals, you need a license as a transport company before you start your activities. The application must be submitted to your competent veterinary office.
Requirements that you must fulfill in order to obtain a type 1 permit (transport duration up to 8 hours):
- You are based in Germany or, if based in a third country, have a representative in Germany.
- You have proven that you have sufficient and suitable personnel as well as sufficient and suitable equipment and procedures.
- You or your representatives are not known to have committed serious infringements of Community and/or national animal welfare legislation in the last three years. If, in the opinion of your competent veterinary office, you have provided sufficient evidence that you have taken all necessary measures to avoid further infringements, an approval may still be granted.
Requirements that you must fulfill in order to obtain a type 2 approval (transport duration longer than 8 hours):
- You fulfill all the requirements for a type 1 approval.
- You have submitted valid certificates of competence for all drivers and attendants used for long journeys.
- You have submitted valid certificates of approval for all means of road transport to be used for long journeys.
- You have submitted details of your procedures for recording the movements and tracking of your road vehicles.
- You have submitted details of your procedures for keeping in constant contact with your drivers.
- You have submitted contingency plans to be used in urgent cases.
After submitting your application and providing all the necessary documents, your application will be checked and documented by the responsible veterinary office. If the requirements are met, approval will be granted.
If you are a farmer, you do not need a license to transport animals in your own agricultural vehicles or means of transport in cases where, for geographical reasons, transport is required as part of the seasonal migration of certain animal species (e.g. upbringing or downbringing of livestock), or to transport your own animals in your own means of transport over a distance of less than 50 km from your farm.
You also do not need a license
- for the transportation of vertebrate animals that is not connected with an economic activity, and
- the transportation of animals directly to or from a veterinary practice or veterinary clinic under the supervision of a veterinarian.
You must apply for a license before you start working. You may only start working once you have received the license.
Applying for approval as a transport company
The following proofs and declarations are required for type 1 approval:
- Proof of sufficient and suitable personnel
- Proof of sufficient and appropriate equipment
- Declaration that you or your representatives have not committed any serious infringements of Community and/or national animal welfare legislation in the last three years
- Declaration that you or your representatives have not applied for approval from any other competent authority in Germany or a Member State
The following proofs are also required for a type 2 license
- Certificates of competence for all drivers and attendants used for long journeys
- Valid certificates of approval for all means of road transport used for long journeys
- Proof that you can track and record the movements of your road vehicles and maintain constant contact with the drivers
- Emergency plans that come into effect in urgent cases
Please ask your competent veterinary office whether you need to submit any further documents.
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited