Animal transport abroad; registration

For a transport of livestock or equidae as well as for traveling with equidae to another Member State or a third country, a notification to the local competent veterinary office is required.


Animal transport of cattle, pigs, equidae, sheep, goats and poultry to another Member State or third country must be notified to the local competent veterinary office.

An official veterinary certificate is required for each transport of livestock or equidae and for travel with equidae to another Member State or third country. In addition, a so-called equine passport must be carried for equidae.

It is irrelevant whether the animals are taken abroad permanently or only temporarily, e.g. for a vacation trip or a tournament.

The animal health requirements to be fulfilled by the animals in each case are laid down uniformly in Union law for all Member States of the European Union. Prior to transport and the issuance of a corresponding veterinary certificate, the competent authorities carry out appropriate checks to prevent the spread of disease. These include, for example, identity checks, document checks and clinical examinations. In addition, the planned transport is checked according to animal welfare aspects.

If animals are exported to third countries, the animal health requirements and veterinary certificates of the recipient countries must be observed. These must be obtained by the animal keeper from the authorities of the recipient states or their embassies, unless there are already coordinated veterinary certificates in TRACES NT for the planned shipment. Transports must be planned in good time and the competent authority must be notified in good time beforehand so that all necessary examinations or similar can be carried out. Furthermore, the necessary documents are to be filled out completely by the animal keeper. The customs regulations are to be observed.


In principle, transport companies must be registered or licensed (see under "Related topics").

For transports lasting more than 8 hours, a transport plan must be submitted.

Drivers of animal transports, if they drive more than 65 km, require a certificate of competence, which can be applied for at the responsible veterinary office after appropriate training in facilities approved for this purpose (see under "Related topics").


Animal transport must be notified to the veterinary office responsible for the place of business.

The start of loading (not the departure time) must be indicated.


The animal transport must be notified at least 2 working days before dispatch.


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.