Road haulage for hire or reward; application for a licence

Commercial road haulage is generally subject to licensing. So-called own-account transport, i.e. road haulage for a company's own purposes under certain conditions, does not require a licence.


Road haulage is the transport of goods by motor vehicles with a permissible gross weight of more than 3.5 tonnes, including trailers, for business purposes or against payment.

The permit in accordance with § 3 of the Road Haulage Act is only valid for road haulage within the Federal Republic of Germany.

Own-account transport as road haulage for the company's own purposes does not require a permit under the following conditions:

  • the goods transported must be the property of the company or sold, bought, rented, leased, manufactured, produced, extracted, processed or repaired by it.
  • the carriage must be used for the delivery of the goods to the undertaking, their dispatch from the undertaking, their transfer within the undertaking or for the undertaking's own use outside the undertaking.
  • the motor vehicles used for the transport must, in principle, be driven by the undertaking's own staff.
  • The transport must only be ancillary to the overall activity of the undertaking.


The authorisation shall be granted to an operator whose undertaking is effectively and permanently established in the territory of the country if

  • the entrepreneur and the person appointed to manage the road haulage business (transport manager) are reliable,
  • the financial capacity of the undertaking is guaranteed, and
  • the entrepreneur or the person appointed to manage the road haulage business is professionally suitable.

Special notes

For international road haulage, the following is required:

  • a so-called Community licence for transport with states of the EU and states of the EEA, which also authorises domestic transport in other EU/EEA states (so-called cabotage transport),
  • a so-called CEMT permit for cross-border commercial road haulage and removal transport in the community of CEMT member states (more than 30 states in Europe)
    -> the Federal Office for Goods Transport, Werderstraße 34, 50672 Cologne, Tel.: 0221/57 76-0, Fax: 0221/57 76-1777, e-mail: is responsible for issuing this permit or
  • a so-called bilateral permit for cross-border road haulage with third countries
    -> responsible for a large part of the countries is the government of the Oberpfalz, Emmeramsplatz 8/9, 93047 Regensburg, Tel.: 0941/56 80-0, Fax: 0941/56 80-188.

If road haulage for own account is permitted, the entrepreneur who operates road haulage for own account is obliged to register his company with the Federal Office for Goods Transport, Werderstraße 34, 50672 Cologne, before the first transport begins.

Required documents

  • Documentation for the applicant company:

    • an extract from the commercial or cooperative register in the form of a certified copy, if a corresponding entry exists
    • proof of authorisation to represent the company; a certificate of good conduct and information from the Central Trade Register for the person authorised to represent the company
    • Clearance certificates from the tax office, the municipality, the social security institutions and the employers' liability insurance association (not older than three months) on financial capacity
    • Equity certificate or a certificate from the auditor who audited the annual financial statements (not older than one year)
    • certificate of professional competence for the national and international carriage of goods by road

  • Documents for persons appointed to manage road haulage operations:

    • Certificate of good conduct (not older than three months)
    • information from the central business register (not older than three months)
    • proof of professional suitability
    • proof of employment.


  • Fee from 120 to 700 euros

Status: 09.12.2021

Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wohnen, Bau und Verkehr

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.