If your truck weighs at least 7.5 tonnes and you want to drive on a federal road or federal motorway in Germany, you must pay a toll beforehand.
You only have to pay the toll if the vehicle or combination of vehicles is either
- is intended for the carriage of goods by road, or
- which is used for the carriage of goods by road.
For both variants, a permissible total weight including trailer of at least 7.5 tonnes applies.
Vehicles intended for the carriage of goods can be identified by typical bodywork characteristics, for example in the case of articulated vehicles or lorries. The toll is also payable if
- it is a private journey
- goods are actually being transported or the journey is empty,
- the goods are transported commercially or for own purposes (own-account transport), or
- the vehicle in question is exempt from vehicle tax.
There are exceptions to the toll obligation for operations in:
- Road maintenance service,
- road maintenance services,
- road cleaning and winter road maintenance services, provided that these have been commissioned by the public,
- for fire brigade and police vehicles,
- for vehicles used by showmen and circuses, and
- for self-propelled machines that are only used to carry out work and not for the transport of goods in commercial road haulage or own-account transport.
Note: Electric vehicles are exempt from the toll and gas-powered vehicles are exempt from the toll until 31.12.2020.
You are driving a toll vehicle on federal motorways or federal highways.
You must pay the toll before you start your journey using one of the following booking options.
Automatic booking via on-board unit:
- Register with the operating company Toll Collect GmbH or a provider of the European Electronic Toll Service (EEMD). You can register in writing or online.
- Then have an on-board unit installed in your vehicle.
- After successful registration and installation of the on-board unit, the toll routes driven are recorded automatically and the toll is booked with Toll Collect or the EEMD provider according to the payment method you have selected.
Manual booking via the Toll Collect app:
- Download the Toll Collect app to a mobile device of your choice.
- The app is available for Android, iOS and Windows Phone operating systems and can be downloaded from the stores (Android App Store, iOS App Store, Windows Phone App Store).
- Follow the instructions in the app.
Online booking via the Toll Collect website:
- Go to the Toll Collect website.
- Log in with your customer details and follow the instructions for the online procedure.
Manual booking at around 1,100 toll terminals:
- You will find toll booth terminals both in Germany and in other countries close to the border at large petrol stations, motorway service stations and rest areas.
- Follow the instructions on the toll booth terminal.
If you wish, Toll Collect will also send you a monthly itemised statement. This lists the vehicle, route, journey time and other toll-related data. This allows you to accurately track the toll charges levied. You can download the itemised bill from the Toll Collect customer portal or receive it by post on request.
Information on the range of corresponding services offered by EEMD providers can be obtained from the respective EEMD providers.
The truck toll must be paid before using the toll road network.
Up to 4 hours are required for the installation of the Toll Collect GmbH vehicle device. Online bookings via app or the internet take only a few minutes. The processing time with an EEMD provider can vary.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bundesministerium für Digitales und Verkehr
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited