Car rental permit; application
You need a rental car permit if you want to transport people commercially with rental cars. This does not include the rental of vehicles to self-drivers.
Transport for hire is the transport of persons by passenger cars hired for transport only as a whole and with which the entrepreneur carries out journeys whose purpose, destination and course are determined by the hirer and which are not transport with taxis and not bundled on-demand transport.
This does not mean the hiring of vehicles to self-drivers.
You may only hire out the vehicle as a whole. The hirer (passenger) determines the purpose, destination and schedule of the journeys.
You can obtain the permit for a maximum of five years. After that, you can apply for an extension.
Rental cars differ from taxis in the following ways:
- You may not keep rental cars available in public places/streets for passenger transport. They must return to the company's place of business after each transport.
- They have no duty to operate or carry passengers.
- The fare is freely agreed. However, they must determine it with a distance meter.
- The colour of the vehicles is not specified.
- The number of permits is not limited.
- The entrepreneur or the persons appointed for the management must be reliable.
- The entrepreneur or the persons appointed for the management must be professionally suitable.
- The company must be secure and financially viable.
- The company's registered office or branch must be in Germany (in the sense of commercial law).
You must apply for the car rental permit at the competent office. Depending on what your competent body offers, you can download an application form from the Internet.
The competent body carries out a hearing procedure. As part of this, it requests opinions from other bodies, including
- trade supervisory authorities,
- the Chamber of Commerce and Industry,
- the relevant trade unions and professional associations.
After the deadline for the comments has expired, it makes a final decision on the application and informs the applicant in writing of the result.
Normally, the competent body will decide on your application within three months.
The period can be extended by a maximum of another three months. The prerequisite is that the competent body has announced this in good time (within the first three months) in a written interim decision.
Framework fee for approval: 50,00 - 500,00 EUR
For regular cases it is
- for the first vehicle: 60 EUR
- for each additional vehicle: 30 EUR
These amounts are not binding on the approval authority.
In the event of an excessive administrative burden, the approval authority may deviate from this up to the maximum amount of the framework fee.
You may incur further costs for register information and the preparation of other supporting documents.
Action before the competent administrative court
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wohnen, Bau und Verkehr
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited