Driver card; application for renewal

Are you a driver of a truck or bus and your driver card is about to expire? Then you can have it renewed.



  • You are resident in the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You have a valid driver's license with one of the following categories: B, BE, C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D, DE.
  • Your valid driver's license must correspond to one of the above categories if it was issued in an EEA member state.

Special notes

There are no indications or special features.


You can have your driver card renewed at the earliest 6 months and at the latest 15 working days before it expires.

Required documents

  • Required Documents

    • Application for renewal of driver card
    • Proof of identity
    • valid domestic driver's license or driver's license of a state of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), respectively
      • entitles the holder to drive vehicles for which regulations on driving and rest periods must be observed
    • Proof of residence in Germany and address
    • proof of birth and surname, first name, day and place of birth
    • Photograph against a light background, 35 mm x 45 mm in size, showing the applicant without headgear in a frontal view (biometric passport photograph)
    • if you are applying for a new driver card due to damage or malfunction of the card, you must present it to the issuing authority or body


Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium für Digitales und Verkehr

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.