Student housing; application for funding
The state supports the creation and maintenance of student housing with funds from public budgets.
The purpose of the grant is to create and maintain housing for students at state and nationally accredited institutions of higher education.
Objects of the grant - including initial furnishing - are:
- Construction measures through which living space for students is created in a new, independent building (new construction), the initial acquisition of such living space, as well as the expansion (annex, addition) of an existing building,
- the acquisition and alteration of buildings not previously used for residential purposes into housing for students, involving substantial construction work,
- the alteration, at substantial construction expense, of buildings erected and used as student housing, provided that the building is at least 35 years old or, if it has particularly serious defects, at least 25 years old on December 31 of the year in which the application is submitted.
The recipient of the grant is the owner of the property, the person with heritable building rights or the purchaser. Beneficiaries may be legal entities under public law, private law or natural persons.
Eligible costs costs
Eligible costs are the total costs (including the costs for the initial furnishing).
Type and Amount
Funding is provided in the form of a benefit-free construction loan. It is currently up to 40,000 euros for a single room. For parent-child apartments or wheelchair-accessible rooms, it can be up to 55,000 euros. A capital rebate of 4 percent is granted for each full calendar year that the housing is used for its intended purpose.
There is no legal entitlement to the subsidy applied for.
A prerequisite for funding is an urgent, not merely temporary need for state-subsidized housing for students at the respective university location.
Housing for students is only subsidized on properties that are conveniently located to the university.
The subsidized dormitory spaces may only be occupied by needy students during the 25-year occupancy commitment period. Foreign students must be given appropriate consideration.
The application for funding must be submitted in duplicate to the district administrative authority locally responsible for the building project. This authority checks the completeness of the documents and compliance with building regulations and forwards the application (single copy) to the granting authority, the Bavarian State Ministry of Housing, Construction and Transport.
The subsidies are paid out in installments according to the progress of construction and must be applied for at the district administration authority.
Measures started without the prior approval of the Bavarian State Ministry of Housing, Construction and Transport are not eligible for funding.
Evidence of the property or heritable building right
Evidence of external and own resources
Technical documentation for the building project
Costs according to DIN 276 with classification according to service areas
Living space calculation according to WoFlV
Other evidence (e.g. in the case of construction supervision)
Antrag "Wohnraum für Studierende" (Stud)
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wohnen, Bau und Verkehr
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited