The Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) promotes measures to increase energy efficiency.
You can get a loan of up to EUR 25 million for the following measures:
- New construction or purchase of energy-efficient commercial buildings that meet the requirements for a KfW efficiency building,
- energy-efficient extension of commercial buildings that do not yet fall within the scope of the Energy Saving Ordinance (EnEV), but which, after the extension, meet the requirements for a KfW Efficiency Building,
- energy-efficient extension of commercial buildings by more than 50 square metres that meet the requirements for a KfW Efficiency Building.
The subsidy covers measures for the preparation, implementation and commissioning of the subsidised measure, such as ancillary work or planning costs.
You will not receive any funding
- if you do not use the building exclusively for commercial purposes (for example, you also live there),
- for commercial buildings with oil-fired heating,
- if you rent or lease the building for residential use,
- for holiday homes and holiday apartments,
- for commercial buildings used mainly for agricultural purposes,
- if you've already started the measure before you apply.
There is a benchmark for energy-efficient buildings, the KfW efficiency building standard. The lower the number, the more efficient your building is and the less energy you need. The following standards are eligible for funding:
- KfW Efficiency Building 55,
- KfW efficiency building 70.
If you carry out your measure in accordance with the KfW Efficiency Building 55 standard, you can receive a repayment subsidy of 5 percent of the loan amount, up to a maximum of EUR 50 per square metre of net floor area.
If you carry out your measure in accordance with the KfW Efficiency Building 70 standard, you will not receive a repayment subsidy.
You will only receive the repayment subsidy once you have completed your measure and provided KfW with evidence of its implementation. To do this you must prove
- that you have used the money for the measure applied for,
- that you have achieved the KfW efficiency building standard.
You must keep all documents related to the eligible costs.
Applications for funding are processed by the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW).
You are not entitled to the grant.