New materials and materials; application for funding
The Free State of Bavaria supports cooperation projects in the field of new materials, provided that they can be attributed to industrial research or experimental development.
The research, development and testing of modern materials and new process technologies are to be supported. In particular, this measure is intended to tap the technical and innovative potential of material and material-producing and processing companies, especially small and medium-sized enterprises, to solve the problems facing them. According to the priorities set by the federal government and the EU, new materials represent an essential key technology for a growth and technology-oriented economy in Bavaria.
The funding covers the following topics and issues in particular:
- Materials for energy technology, in particular for storage technology and energy-saving applications,
- lightweight materials,
- Composite materials and material composites,
- Substitution of resource-limited materials and processes for recycling,
- modeling and simulation of material and material properties as well as processing procedures,
- functionalized surfaces and functional materials,
- innovative material-related process and process technologies for the production of chemical base materials, for the manufacture, processing and functionalization of materials, and for the production of semi-finished products, components and parts.
Recipients of funding
Eligible applicants are
- Companies with headquarters or branch offices in the Free State of Bavaria,
- non-university research institutions as well as state universities and institutions of state universities in Bavaria,
- other applicants with their registered office or branch office in the Free State of Bavaria who have the technical qualifications and sufficient capacity to successfully complete the tasks described in the project.
The research, development and innovation (R&D&I) projects must be carried out in close cooperation between several companies from the commercial sector or between such companies and research institutions. Several partners along the value chain should cooperate. Preference will be given to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
The following are eligible for funding
- Personnel costs (flat rates),
- Costs for instruments and equipment,
- costs for contract research, technical knowledge and for patents acquired directly or under license from third parties, as well as costs for consulting and equivalent services used exclusively for the research and development project,
- other operating expenses (materials, supplies, etc.) incurred directly as a result of the research and development activity.
Type and scope
The funding is provided in the form of grants as part of project funding.
The aid intensity is
- Up to 50 percent of the eligible costs of the project or feasibility study in the case of industrial research,
- up to 25 percent of the eligible costs of the project or feasibility study in the case of experimental development.
In the case of collaborative projects, the aid intensity is determined for each individual beneficiary; the maximum aid intensity for the collaborative project is 50 percent. In addition, up to 15 percentage points may be granted to industrial project partners if the conditions of Art. 25(6)(b) GBER are met.
If different project activities can be assigned to both industrial research and experimental development, the funding rate will be determined on a pro rata basis.
- The implementation of the project must be associated with a significant technical and economic risk.
- The project must be characterized by a high degree of innovation, i.e. the technologies, products and services to be developed must go beyond the state of the art in science and technology.
- The main parts of the project must be carried out in Bavaria.
- Funding will not be provided for projects that have already been started before the project management organization receives a verifiable application or that are being carried out primarily on behalf of third parties not involved in the collaborative project.
- At least one of the partners significantly involved in the project must already have specific research and development capacities and relevant technical experience, in the case of companies also in the area of production, at the time of application.
- Applicants or project participants must demonstrably use an appropriate amount of their own or external funds for the financing of the project, which are not financed by other public aid or interest subsidies.
- Cumulation with funds of the European Union or with other state aid is only possible under the conditions of Art. 8 General Block Exemption Regulation (GBER).
- Companies in difficulty pursuant to Art. 1 para. 4 lit. c) in connection with Art. 2 No. 18 GBER are not eligible for support. This applies in particular to applicants for whose assets insolvency proceedings have been filed or opened. The same shall apply to applicants and, if the applicant is a legal entity, to its legal representatives who have submitted or are obliged to submit an affidavit pursuant to Section 807 of the German Code of Civil Procedure (ZPO) or Section 284 of the German Fiscal Code (AO).
- An enterprise which has not complied with a recovery order issued on the basis of a previous Commission decision establishing the unlawfulness and incompatibility of aid with the common market may not be granted aid under these funding principles.
- The publication of the approval of projects shall be made in accordance with Art. 9 para. 1 lit. c) GBER in connection with Annex III GBER.
- Outlines and applications for grants are to be sent to the project management organization.
- Applications must be submitted in writing and electronically. The access data for this can be obtained from the project management organization. Further information is available on the Internet platform for electronic application (ELAN) of the State Ministry for Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy (see "Online procedure").
- The project management agency will review the outlines and applications in the name of and on behalf of the Free State of Bavaria, make a recommendation for the funding decision, if necessary also with the involvement of expert consultants, and handle the processing of the funding, the processing of payment requests, the review of the interim reports, the proof of use and the utilization reports as well as the handling of the correspondence with the applicants. The project executing agency is entitled to obtain explanations from the applicants regarding the applications and the processing of the funding. The project management organization is obligated to maintain confidentiality.
- The granting authority is the Bavarian State Ministry of Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy. The granting authority issues the notice of award and disburses the funding. The calls for funds and the proof of use must be submitted to the project sponsor, who forwards them to the granting authority.
- Pursuant to Art. 91 BayHO, the Bavarian Supreme Audit Office (Bayerische Oberste Rechnungshof) is entitled to conduct additional audits at the grant recipients.
- Calls for funding will be issued.
- Early contact with the project management organization is recommended.
- Funding is provided without legal entitlement within the framework of the available budget.
Project outlines and project description
In the first stage, project outlines (in accordance with the call for proposals) must be submitted to the project management organization in full and on time. After a comparative project selection, an application including a detailed project description, including an exploitation plan and proof of funding, must be submitted for selected projects for each network participant. Projects that are not selected will not be considered further.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft, Landesentwicklung und Energie
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited