The Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) promotes measures to increase energy efficiency in companies.
The promotion is open to all technologies; in particular:
- Process and process conversions to efficient technologies and energy optimization of production processes,
- Waste heat recovery,
- measures on systems for heat supply, cooling and ventilation if these are used directly for production processes,
- energy-efficient provision of process heat or cooling,
- avoidance of energy losses in the production process.
No subsidies are available
- for measures required by law,
- if you have already started the measure before submitting the application.
The amount of the grant depends on the size of your company and the energy saved:
- Small and medium-sized enterprises (up to 249 employees and annual sales not exceeding EUR 50 million or total assets not exceeding EUR 43 million):
- Up to 40 percent of eligible costs,
- maximum EUR 700 for each ton of carbon dioxide saved annually.
- Large companies (250 or more employees and annual sales greater than EUR 50 million or total assets greater than EUR 43 million):
- Up to 30 percent of eligible costs,
- maximum EUR 500 for each ton of carbon dioxide saved annually.
Eligible costs are:
- All costs for implementing the measure,
- Incidental costs for planning and installation,
- Costs for the preparation of an energy savings concept and monitoring of implementation by an external energy consultant.
You can receive a maximum grant of EUR 10 million.
You will only receive the grant once you have completed your measure. To do this, you must prove
- that you have spent the money on the measure,
- that the measure technically fulfills its performance.
You must keep all invoices and receipts related to the eligible costs.
Applications for funding are processed by the Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA).
You are not entitled to funding approval.
Note on other funding options of the program:
You can also apply for a loan via the funding program "Federal Funding for Energy Efficiency in the Economy" (apply for a loan with repayment subsidy for energy optimization of plants and processes).