Youth residence; application for a grant
If you want to modernize, renovate or create accommodation facilities for trainees in a youth residence, you can receive funding from the Federal Employment Agency.
You can receive funding from the Federal Employment Agency for the conversion, modernization, expansion, new construction and equipping of a youth residence. It can fund your project either as a pro-rata interest subsidy or as a pro-rata one-off grant.
You can receive funding for the following measures:
- Conversions and modernization work such as:
- Thermal insulation and other energy-saving measures
- Note: Measures that can also generate income (for example, solar systems or combined heat and power plants that also feed electricity into the public grid) are excluded.
- Elimination of structural defects
- Improvement of the layout and functionality of the apartments
- Sound insulation measures
- Improvement of water supply and disposal,
- Improvement of the power supply
- Measures for accessibility
- Internet access
- Fire protection measures
- Implementation of safety standards
- New building
- Extension of a dormitory
- new equipment
Specifics for each type of grant:
You can receive an interest subsidy to reduce the cost of a loan. The responsible Operative Service at the Bochum Employment Agency will be happy to explain the concrete calculation of the grant amount to you.
The amount of the subsidy is 35 percent and in special cases a maximum of 40 percent. The subsidy is limited in time.
You can receive funding for a youth residence from the Federal Employment Agency if you want to build, convert or modernize a residence for trainees undergoing in-company vocational training. The following requirements apply:
- You must operate the youth hostel yourself.
- You may only operate the facility on a cost-covering basis.
- Commercial operation aimed at making a profit is not permitted.
- They accept trainees of any branch and everyone on an equal basis.
- They grant trainees a 10 percent discount in the dormitory if they receive vocational training allowances.
- You are eligible for funding if you, as the sponsor of the residence, are
- a legal entity or
- an association of independent charitable organizations or
- are a non-profit association.
- Their total costs amount to at least EUR 100,000.
- You must not have started the construction or conversion work yet, unless the Employment Agency has allowed an exception in your case.
- There is a long-term need for your youth residence places for trainees.
- There is a lack of training places suitable for the trainees who are to occupy your residence at their home location.
- Prospective trainees cannot start their training without your youth residence.
- Companies in the vicinity of the (planned) youth residence do not have enough trainees to fill training positions.
- You contribute an appropriate share of your own funds.
- Your overall financing is secured.
- If you want to offer new equipment, this must be related to a construction measure in order to be eligible for funding.
- The application for funding for your youth residence will be sent to you by the Bochum Employment Agency. Please contact (by telephone or electronically) the Operative Service of the Bochum Employment Agency for this purpose. The Agentur für Arbeit Bochum is your competent contact for all questions regarding subsidies.
- You can submit your application, also informally, to any other employment agency in Germany. They will then forward your application to your contact person.
- As soon as all documents have been submitted and all ambiguities have been clarified, you will receive a decision by mail regarding the approval or rejection of a grant.
After the premature dissolution of a training relationship (training termination), funding may be provided again if there was a justified reason for the dissolution.
You must have applied for a one-time grant by December 31, 2021.
If you wish to apply for an interest subsidy, you do not need to meet any deadlines for this.
The processing of your application usually takes between 3 months and 3 years, depending on the scope of the documents you have submitted. The time it takes for a decision to be issued depends on your application documents and the individual circumstances on site.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bundesministerium für Arbeit und Soziales
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited