Import of goods; customs declaration
If you are importing goods into Germany from outside the EU, you can submit the customs declaration via the Internet.
You want to permanently import goods from outside the European Union into Germany or release them for free circulation.
To declare goods for import online, proceed as follows:
- Visit the Internet customs declaration import website and select "Internet customs declaration import form".
- Fill out the form completely in your internet browser. Submit it.
- Once completed, print the form twice and sign both versions.
- Send the two printed copies by mail, fax or e-mail to your responsible customs office or hand them in personally. The customs office where the goods are located is responsible.
- You will then be issued with a customs notification. Alternatively, this can also be sent by mail.
- Declaration to customs: 90 days from the date of crossing the border of the goods.
- Submission of the 2 printed copies of the form: 30 days from the date of use of the Internet customs declaration.
After completing your internet customs declaration, you will usually receive a customs notice within one day to 4 weeks.
If the value of the goods exceeds EUR 20,000, a written customs declaration (D.V.1) must be submitted. In addition, you should have the commercial invoice belonging to the goods or any existing preferential proofs ready.
If the goods are subject to restrictions, you must present the relevant documents.
There are no costs for you for using the Internet customs declaration. Irrespective of this, you may have to pay duties (e.g. customs duty, import VAT, excise duty) upon import, depending on the goods.
Detailed information on how to file an appeal can be found in the customs notice.
- fiscal court action
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium der Finanzen
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited