Genetic engineering; approval and monitoring
Genetic engineering comprises molecular biological methods for the targeted modification of genetic material. The handling of genetic engineering is defined by the Genetic Engineering Act. In Bavaria, the governments of Lower Franconia (for northern Bavaria) and Upper Bavaria (for southern Bavaria) are responsible for enforcing the Genetic Engineering Act.
Genetic engineering work may only be carried out in genetic engineering facilities. Genetic engineering law provides for notification, notification and approval procedures.
The governments of Lower Franconia (for Northern Bavaria, i.e. for the administrative districts of Lower, Middle and Upper Franconia and the Upper Palatinate) and Upper Bavaria (for Southern Bavaria, i.e. for the administrative districts of Upper Bavaria, Lower Bavaria and Swabia) are responsible for the enforcement of the Genetic Engineering Law in Bavaria:
Permits / approvals for
- Construction and / or operation of genetic engineering facilities (laboratory or production rooms, greenhouses or other closed systems)
- Carrying out genetic engineering work in genetic engineering facilities
- genetic engineering facilities and work
- releases of genetically modified organisms (GMOs), e.g. animals, plants, bacteria, viruses
- products placed on the market that contain or consist of GMOs, unless they are food or feed.
Contact persons in the field of genetic engineering are available for you at both governments.
Depending on the type of procedure: usually start immediately or up to 90 days after receipt of complete documentation by the competent authority.
Application documents depend on the type and scope of the planned project. Consultation with the competent authority is highly recommended.
Formblätter für die Einleitung eines Zulassungsverfahrens nach dem Gentechnikgesetz
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
- see Regulation on the issuance of the Schedule of Costs to the Act on Costs - No. 8.V.0 under "Legal basis".
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited