Food monitoring; carrying out controls in retail and wholesale trade and catering establishments
Retail shops, supermarkets, restaurants, canteens, etc. are regularly inspected by the food control authorities for compliance with the legal requirements. As part of these inspections, samples of goods are also taken and examined.
Food establishments, restaurants and kitchens of hospitals, canteens, kindergartens and retirement homes are subject to official food monitoring. This applies equally to events such as farmers' markets and street festivals.
Food monitoring checks
- in the case of food retailers and wholesalers, primarily the labelling of the goods, i.e. the presence, legibility and correct wording of the most important labelling information (e.g. the designation, the best-before date, the list of ingredients); in addition, compliance with the prescribed refrigeration temperatures and the hygienic conditions are checked and samples taken;
- in the case of catering establishments, for example, the proper storage of foodstuffs, the best-before date and other quality of the foodstuffs present and compliance with general hygiene rules.
During the inspections, the food inspectors also provide information and advice in the sense of preventive consumer protection.
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited