Economic operators may only place safe transportable pressure equipment on the market. They are responsible for ensuring that their products are designed in such a way that users and third parties are protected against hazards to life and health. This is a significant contribution to the preventive protection of consumers and employees. The safety standard is based on the Ordinance on Transportable Pressure Equipment (ODV).
Transportable pressure equipment includes a variety of gas cylinders and containers, such as disposable helium cylinders for filling balloons for private and commercial parties or carbon dioxide cylinders for beverage fountains.
In order to ensure that only safe transportable pressure equipment is placed on the market (i.e., goes on sale), the Bavarian Trade Inspectorate performs the following tasks in particular.
The trade supervisory authority
- investigates complaints from consumers,
- inspects transportable pressure equipment at trade fairs and exhibitions and in the trade by means of targeted spot checks,
- checks the condition of transportable pressure equipment on a case-by-case basis at the manufacturer's, dealer's or importer's premises,
- withdraws unsafe transportable pressure equipment from circulation and
- participates as a consumer protection authority in the EU-wide rapid information system.
If you have any questions about requirements for transportable pressure equipment, or if you suspect that a transportable pressure equipment does not meet the prescribed requirements, you can contact the Trade Inspection Office at the Government of Upper Palatinate directly.