Energy efficiency; application for a grant for measures to provide process heat from renewable energies
If you invest in systems for the provision of process heat from renewable energies, you can apply for a grant under certain conditions.
The German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) promotes the provision of process heat from renewable energies in companies.
You can receive funding for the following measures:
- Solar collectors,
- biomass systems,
- Heat pumps, provided they use renewable heat sources.
- heat storage for these heat generators
You will not receive a subsidy
- for measures required by law,
- if you have already started the measure before submitting the application.
The amount of the subsidy depends on the size of your company:
- small and medium-sized companies (up to 249 employees and annual sales not exceeding EUR 50 million or total assets not exceeding EUR 43 million): up to 55 percent of eligible costs,
- large companies (250 or more employees and annual sales greater than EUR 50 million or total assets greater than EUR 43 million): up to 45 percent of eligible costs.
Eligible costs are:
- All costs for implementing the measure,
- Incidental costs for planning and installation.
Eligible costs also include
- the integration of the measure into an existing process and
- yield monitoring and fault detection of the installed measurement and data acquisition systems.
You can receive a maximum EUR 10 million grant.
You will only receive the grant once you have completed your measure. To do this, you must prove
- that you have spent the money on the measure,
- that the measure technically fulfills its performance.
You must keep all invoices and receipts related to the eligible costs.
Applications for funding are processed by the Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA).
You are not entitled to funding approval.
Note on other funding options of the program:
You can also apply for a loan via the funding program "Federal Funding for Energy Efficiency in the Economy" (apply for a loan with repayment subsidy for measures to provide process heat from renewable energies).
Applications can be submitted by:
- domestic and foreign commercial enterprises
- municipal enterprises
- Contractors who carry out measures for a company eligible to apply.
- Your company must have its registered office or a branch in Germany
- the subsidized measure must be implemented in Germany and operated for at least three years
- more than 50 percent of the process heat generated by the measure must be used for the manufacture of products or services
- Your measure must meet minimum technical requirements
You must submit the application for funding directly online to the Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA).
- Fill out the electronic application form on the BAFA website. Upload the required documents in the upload area and submit the complete application.
- You will receive an e-mail directly that your application has been received by BAFA.
- BAFA will review your application and decide on the funding.
- You will then receive notification by mail from BAFA as to whether your grant is approved.
- You start implementing the measure. Note: If you do not want to wait for the grant decision, you can start implementing the measure as soon as you have submitted your application, at your own financial risk.
- Once you have completed the measure, you must provide proof of implementation. To do this, you fill out a proof online on BAFA's website. You still need to upload the following documents in the upload area:
- a confirmation from the manufacturer or supplier that your measure meets the technical performance (specialist contractor declaration),
- the invoices for the measure.
- Submit the complete proof.
- Once BAFA has checked your proof, you will receive your grant.
It is best to seek advice from an energy efficiency expert before submitting your application for funding.
Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) can apply for additional grants for this from BAFA in the "Federal funding for energy consulting in SMEs" program.
- Application deadline:
- until 31.12.2022
- Before the start of the measure
- Implementation of the measure: as a rule, within 24 months of the notice of approval
- Proof of implementation of the measure: within 3 months after the end of the grant period
- Processing of the application: 3 to 6 weeks
Once you have submitted your application, you can start the measure at your own financial risk.
When submitting your application, you must submit:
- Data collection sheet or, in the case of non-listed installations, a manufacturer's declaration:
- Proof of eligibility - biomass plant manufacturer's declaration form.
- Proof of eligibility - manufacturer's declaration form for heat pumps
- hydraulic system diagram
- depending on the type of subsidy:
- "de minimis": "de minimis" declaration
- General Block Exemption Regulation (AGVO): reference offer for measure
You will find further details on the required documents in the electronic application form or in the general leaflet on the application procedure.
If you have completed your measure, then you must submit the following documents:
- Specialist contractor declaration
- Invoices for the measure
Forms on the BAFA website (under Forms)
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Klimaschutz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited