Unemployment insurance; application for voluntary continued insurance
If you are no longer compulsorily insured under the unemployment insurance scheme, you can continue to be insured on a voluntary basis under certain conditions.
- You were compulsorily insured in the social insurance system for at least 12 months within the last 30 months before taking up the activity/employment abroad or starting the parental leave/continuing vocational training, for example as an employee or trainee, or
- Immediately before taking up the activity/employment abroad or starting the parental leave/continuing vocational training, you were entitled to an income replacement benefit in accordance with the Third Social Code (SGB III), e.g. unemployment benefit, but not citizen's allowance, and
- You are neither subject to compulsory insurance nor exempt from compulsory insurance under the unemployment insurance scheme.
- The compulsory insurance relationship is excluded if you were already subject to compulsory insurance as a self-employed person, interrupted your self-employed activity twice and claimed unemployment benefits during the interruption periods.
You can apply for compulsory unemployment insurance in writing to the Employment Agency:
- Download the form online from the website of the Employment Agency and print it out or have the form handed over to you on site at the Employment Agency.
- Fill out the form and attach the necessary supporting documents.
- Submit the application documents to the employment agency. If possible, hand in the completed application documents in person.
- You will be notified of the decision on your application in writing by mail. Your compulsory insurance relationship upon application begins on the day on which the requirements are met for the first time, if necessary also retroactively.
Alternatively, you can also submit the application online.
- Go to the website of the Federal Employment Agency. Then call up eServices via the menu, click on "Show all services" and then on " Voluntary compulsory application insurance".
- Here you will find accessible documents that can be filled out digitally, as well as the upload for the application and other supporting documents.
- Download the application form appropriate for your job and complete it electronically.
- Prepare the necessary supporting documents. Make sure that the necessary evidence is available in digital form. For example, you can photograph the documents with your smartphone or a digital camera and upload them as an image file.
- Log in with your user account.
- If you do not have a user account, you must first register. If you do not remember your access data, follow the steps on the Forgot Username or Forgot Password page.
- Alternatively, you can receive an access code for the online portal by mail.
- From your user account, you can upload the application for compulsory unemployment insurance coverage and all supporting documents and submit them to the Employment Agency.
- Missing documents and changes can also be submitted or communicated online.
- You will be notified of the decision on your application. You will find this notification in your profile in the "Notification filing" area - provided you have agreed to online delivery.
- Your compulsory insurance relationship upon application for unemployment insurance begins on the day on which the requirements are met for the first time, if necessary also retroactively.
On average 3 weeks (0 to 3 weeks)
- ID card or Passport and registration certificate, residence permit, work permit
- Social security card
- Work certificate
- Termination letter / employment contract
- social court action
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium für Arbeit und Soziales
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited