The statutory accident insurance supports you after
- an accident at work,
- a commuting accident and
- the onset of an occupational disease.
If necessary, your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund will cover costs incurred for household management or childcare.
The following costs, for example, are covered by your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund:
- Costs for a self-procured household help (service for the continuation of the household and travel costs)
- Actual travel costs incurred and, if applicable, actual loss of earnings in the case of relatives and in-laws up to the 2nd degree, i.e. for example:
- grandparents, parents, siblings, children, grandchildren
- parents-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law
- Costs for taking the child with you
- Costs for a different accommodation of the child
- Costs for child care
The household help's duties include, for example:
- Shopping and preparation of meals
- Care of clothing
- care of the living quarters and
- Taking care of the children.
The statutory accident insurance will cover your daily costs up to 2.5 percent of the applicable monthly reference amount. The reference amount is calculated from the income of all insured persons of the German social insurance. This applies to an 8-hour day. If your home help only works part-time, you will receive a pro-rata reimbursement of up to a maximum of one-eighth of the maximum amount per hour. This covers all your expenses, including travel costs.
After an accident at work, you take part in a 6-week medical measure. During this time, you are unable to care for your household on your own. You are assessed as needing to continue running your household for 3 hours a day for 2 times a week. You will procure a household help yourself. As of 01.01.2022, the reimbursable amount of a self-procured household help is 10.25 euros per hour and a maximum of 82.00 euros per day. Your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund will check other legal requirements according to the Social Security Code. If these are met, the following reimbursable amount results for the entire period: 10.25 euros x 3 hours x 2 times a week x 6 weeks = 369 euros. The daily maximum amount was not exceeded at any time.
Instead of household help, the necessary costs for childcare are also covered up to a maximum amount. This has been 180 euros per month since 01.01.2021.