Emergency paramedic with training from EU/EEA/Switzerland, recognise professional qualification

You would like to work as an emergency paramedic in Germany? Then you need a state permit. To obtain the state permit, you can have your foreign professional qualification recognised.



  • You have a professional qualification as an emergency paramedic from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland.
  • You want to work as an emergency paramedic in Germany.
  • Personal suitability: You are reliable for the work as an emergency paramedic and have no criminal record.
  • Health suitability: You are mentally and physically able to work as an emergency paramedic.
  • You have German language skills at the required level. This is normally language level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).



You submit an application for permission to use the professional title "emergency paramedic" to the competent authority. You can hand in the application with the documents to the competent body or send it by post. Do not send originals. Sometimes you can send the application electronically. The competent body will inform you.

Checking the equivalence

The competent body will then check whether you meet all the requirements. One important requirement is the equivalence of your professional qualification. The competent body compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification as an emergency paramedic. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

Possible results of the examination

If your professional qualification is equivalent, your foreign professional qualification will be recognised. The competent body can confirm the result to you in writing. You still have to fulfil the other requirements. Then you will receive permission to use the professional title "emergency paramedic".

Are there any significant differences between your professional qualification and the German professional qualification? Perhaps you can compensate for the differences through your professional practice, other knowledge or skills (lifelong learning). You have to prove the professional practice. Knowledge and skills must be certified by an authority of the state in which you acquired the knowledge or skills.

However, it may be that the essential differences cannot be compensated by this knowledge. In that case, your foreign professional qualification will not be recognised. You will then not be allowed to work as an emergency paramedic in Germany.

However, the competent authority will tell you the essential differences and why you cannot compensate for the essential differences through your professional practice.

In most cases you can take a compensatory measure. This will allow you to compensate for the essential differences.

Compensatory measures

There are different compensatory measures:

  • Adaptation course: the adaptation course lasts a maximum of three years.
  • Aptitude test: In the aptitude test, only the areas in which substantial differences have been identified are tested. The aptitude test consists of a practical test combined with an examination interview.

You can choose between an adaptation course or an aptitude test.

If you successfully complete the compensatory measure and meet all other requirements, you will receive permission to use the occupational title "emergency paramedic".

Special notes

Freedom to provide services

You only want to offer services in Germany sometimes and for a short time? Then you usually do not need state permission. You must meet these requirements:

  • You must be established in another state of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland.
  • You must provide proof of your professional qualification.
  • You must notify the competent body of your activity in writing.

The competent body will inform you whether you are allowed to provide services or whether you have to take an aptitude test.

Equivalency notice

The equivalence examination (recognition procedure) also takes place during the licensing procedure. You can apply for a separate decision on the result of the examination.

Procedure for late repatriates

As a late repatriate, you can either go through the recognition procedure according to the laws mentioned here or according to the Federal Expellees Act. You can decide this yourself. The competent office will advise you which procedure suits you best.



Sometimes documents are still missing from the procedure. The responsible office will then inform you by when you have to submit the documents.

Processing time

The competent body will inform you if any documents are missing. If the documents are complete, the procedure takes a maximum of 4 months. (4 Monate)

Required documents

  • Required Documents

    The relevant office will tell you what documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally:

    • Proof of identity (identity card or passport).
    • Marriage certificate (if your name has changed due to marriage)
    • Curriculum vitae
    • Proof of your professional qualification (e.g. certificates, professional certificate)
    • Evidence of education
    • Proof of your relevant professional experience as an emergency paramedic
    • Evidence of further relevant knowledge for the work as an emergency paramedic
    • Do you not yet live or work in Germany? Then you may need to provide evidence: You want to work in Germany in the profession. Proofs are e.g. applications for a job, invitations to job interviews, personal statement

    You usually hand in these documents later. The competent office will inform you when to hand in the documents:

    • Proof of your personal suitability: criminal record extract or certificate of good conduct from your country of origin. The proof must not be older than 3 months at the time of application.
    • Proof of your health suitability: Medical certificate. The certificate must not be older than 3 months at the time of application.
    • Proof of your German language skills: Language certificate

    The responsible office will inform you which documents you have to submit as a simple copy, as a certified copy or as an original.


Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.


  • The responsible office will inform you about the costs. The costs generally depend on the effort required for processing.

    Additional costs may arise (e.g. for translations, certifications or compensatory measures). These costs vary individually.


You can take legal action (e.g. file an objection) against the decision of the competent body within a certain period of time. The decision will then be reviewed. Details on this can be found in the appeal instructions at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the responsible office before taking legal action against the decision.


Responsible for editing:Bundesinstitut für Berufsbildung

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.