Translator and interpreter; application for recognition of a non-Bavarian qualification
You can apply for recognition of your non-Bavarian academic degree or other professional training with a state examination if you wish to be publicly appointed and sworn in as a "translator" and "interpreter" by the court.
In order to be able to open a recognition procedure, you must provide proof of professional training in the field of translation and interpreting through a relevant translator and interpreter degree or a state translator and interpreter examination.
The acquired professional qualification must include German as a corresponding language.
The application can be submitted regardless of nationality and residence status. Applications from abroad are also possible.
The Bavarian State Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs carries out the recognition procedures in the field of translation and interpreting.
- The application must be submitted in writing or electronically to the Examination Office for Translators and Interpreters of the Bavarian State Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs (for contact details, see "Who is responsible for you").
- Please note that official documents (e.g. certificates, diplomas) must be sent by post as certified copies.
- The State Ministry will confirm receipt of the application within one month and request any missing documents.
- Once the complete documents have been submitted, the procedure will be completed within three months.
- In the course of the equivalence assessment procedure, it is checked whether there are significant differences between the proven professional qualification and the Bavarian training to become a state-certified translator or state-certified translator and interpreter.
- The main criteria for the comparison are the prescribed requirements in terms of training content and duration as well as the question of whether any deviating knowledge and skills are decisive for practicing the profession in Germany. Complete conformity with the Bavarian professional training and the Bavarian state examination for translators or translators and interpreters is therefore not required.
- If there are no significant differences between the proven professional qualification and the Bavarian training to become a state-certified translator or translator and interpreter, the applicant's professional qualification will be recognized as equivalent to the state examination for translators or translators and interpreters taken in Bavaria.
- If equivalence cannot be determined due to significant differences, these significant differences and the existing professional qualification will be determined by official notice.
- Applicants from a member state of the European Union or from a state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area have the choice between an adaptation period and an aptitude test to compensate for significant differences. In all other cases, the Ministry of State decides whether an adaptation period or an aptitude test is to be taken.
There is no automatic recognition of qualifications from certain providers or universities. Each qualification is examined individually to determine whether it can be recognized as equivalent to the Bavarian state examination for translators.
No recognition procedure can be opened for professional activities in the field of translation and interpreting.
The Ministry of State will confirm receipt of the application within one month and request any missing documents.
Once the complete documents have been submitted, the procedure will be completed within three months.
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide:
Formloser Antrag (mit Unterschrift)
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
- The fee for the recognition procedure is currently EUR 40 plus postal charges.
You can appeal against the decision of the competent authority. This allows you to take legal action against the decision so that it can be reviewed.
It is recommended that you first clarify the disputed issues with the competent body before lodging an appeal.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Unterricht und Kultus
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited