Waste legislation; enforcement
In Bavaria, the enforcement of waste legislation is the responsibility of the governments and district administrative authorities (district offices and independent cities) as well as the State Office for the Environment, while the implementation of waste disposal is the responsibility of the districts and independent cities.
The basic principles of waste management in Germany are regulated by the Federal Government in the Closed Substance Cycle Waste Management Act (KrWG).
For the areas of waste management not regulated by the federal government in the KrWG and the implementing ordinances, as well as for the implementation and supplementation of the regulations made by the federal government, the federal states have enacted their own waste laws. In Bavaria, the Bavarian Waste Management Act (BayAbfG) is to be consulted here.
In Bavaria, enforcement of waste legislation is the responsibility of the governments and the district administrative authorities (district offices and independent cities) as well as the State Office for the Environment.
The responsibilities in Bavaria in the area of waste disposal are regulated in the Waste Responsibility Ordinance (see "Further links") and are basically the responsibility of the district administrative authorities (district offices and independent cities).
The governments' responsibilities include the following:
- Advising the district administrative offices and independent cities on the enforcement of the KrWG and the ordinances issued on the basis of the KrWG (e.g. End-of-Life Vehicles Ordinance, Waste Wood Ordinance, etc.)
- Supervision of the district offices and independent cities in the area of waste law
- Decision on applications for exemptions from the obligation to transfer hazardous waste to GSB Sonderabfallentsorgung-Bayern GmbH for the whole of Bavaria (the government of Upper Bavaria has Bavaria-wide jurisdiction)
- Approval of the waste management statutes, if waste is to be excluded from disposal by the public waste disposal authority
- Approval if the public waste management authority is to exclude waste from disposal in individual cases.
- Decision on appeals against waste fee notices.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited