Forced marriage; counseling

Victims Women and girls threatened or affected by forced marriage can seek advice.



They are affected or threatened by forced marriage.


Contact a counseling center or the youth welfare office. You will receive psychological support there and be informed about your legal options.

In emergencies or if you are acutely threatened by violence, contact the police.

Special notes

If you were forced to marry outside Germany and prevented from returning to Germany, you may be able to claim your own right of return. You must apply for a residence permit within three months of the cessation of the coercion, but no later than five years after leaving the country. In this case, you can also obtain the residence permit if you are unable to secure your own livelihood in Germany.

If, as a victim of forced marriage, you have already lived in Germany for at least eight years and attended school for at least six years, your residence permit, which is still valid, will not expire during a stay abroad until three months after the situation of coercion has ceased, or at the latest after ten years of absence from Germany.

If you wish to have a marriage annulled that was concluded under duress, contact the family court in whose district you and your husband or wife have your habitual residence. The application period for annulment of marriage has been extended from one to three years after the marriage in the case of forced marriages.


  • none


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Familie, Arbeit und Soziales

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.