Education pension; application

If you are raising a child alone because your divorced partner died, you may receive child-rearing pension.


The child-raising pension supports you as a single parent if your divorced spouse or partner dies. The pension thus serves as a substitute for maintenance and allows you to devote more time to raising your children.

The child-rearing pension is a pension from your own pension account. The amount corresponds to the pension you would receive if you were fully incapacitated. Your annual pension information will tell you what amount this is based on. If your child-raising pension starts before the age limit that applies to you, you will have to accept deductions. For each month that you retire earlier, the deduction is 0.3 percent, up to a maximum of 10.8 percent in total.

If you receive the education pension, you may have other income (additional earnings). However, your income may be counted if you exceed an allowance. The amount of this allowance is calculated individually.

You can also receive the child-raising pension if your marriage or registered civil partnership was still in existence at the time of death and you had decided as a couple to share your pension entitlements in what is known as pension splitting.

You cannot receive an education pension if you are receiving another, higher pension from the statutory pension insurance at the same time.

The child-raising pension ends at the end of the month in which the conditions cease to apply, for example, if you remarry or if your child reaches the age of 18 and the child-raising therefore ends, but at the latest when you reach the standard retirement age.


  • Your marriage or civil partnership was divorced, declared null and void or dissolved after June 30, 1977, or if the marriage was dissolved before July 1, 1977, the maintenance claim was based on GDR law.
  • Your divorced marriage or life partner has died.
  • You are raising your own child or a child of your former spouse or partner (including stepchildren, foster children, grandchildren or siblings) who is under 18 years of age, or
  • You are raising a disabled child of your own or a child of your former marriage or domestic partner (regardless of the child's age).
  • You have not remarried and have not registered a new domestic partnership.
  • You were insured for at least 5 years until the death of your divorced marriage or life partner (general waiting period).
  • You have not yet reached the standard retirement age.
  • If your marriage or civil partnership is still in existence at the time of death: you have previously carried out pension splitting.

The general waiting period of 5 years includes:

  • Contribution periods (compulsory and voluntary contributions),
  • substitute periods,
  • child-raising periods,
  • periods from pension equalization and pension splitting between spouses,
  • periods of marginal employment with payment of contributions by the employer, and
  • supplements to earnings points for remuneration from marginal employment exempt from compulsory insurance.


You can submit your application online, in person, or in writing.

Online application:

  • On the website of the German Pension Insurance (DRV) under "Online Services" you will find detailed information on the process.
  • If you follow the link "Submit application", you will be guided through the further steps and can select the desired application.
  • Alternatively, you can use the online services with registration. For example, you can see right away which insurance periods have already been recorded. You also save time and do not have to re-enter data you already know.
  • Complete the application in full and upload the required documents.
  • Submit your application online.
  • You will receive a confirmation of submission.
  • The responsible pension insurance institution will review your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

In-person application:

  • Compile the necessary documents for your application and make an appointment with the DRV.
  • When making an appointment online, your personal data and, if possible, your insurance number are required.
  • You can select a desired counseling center and your preferred appointment time. Depending on the availability of free appointments, you will receive a proposal for a binding counseling appointment.
  • During your personal consultation, your application will be recorded electronically and forwarded online to the responsible pension insurance institution.
  • The responsible pension insurance institution will review your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

Written application:

  • Go to the DRV's website.
  • Download the application form you need.
  • You can also pick up the form in person at the information and advice centers.
  • Fill out the application form, sign it and attach the required documents.
  • Send all documents
    • by mail to your pension insurance institution or
    • hand them in at one of the local advice centers.
  • The responsible pension insurance institution will review your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

A person you trust can also submit your pension application on your behalf. For this purpose, please submit a power of attorney to the pension insurance company. As long as the power of attorney is valid, the pension insurance company will only contact the person you have authorized.

If you give your consent to electronic communication, all correspondence can be done online. Either use the electronic mailbox under online services with registration or De-Mail.


Your pension will start from the 1st of the calendar month at the beginning of which you meet the requirements, if you submit the application within 3 calendar months.

If the application is submitted later, your pension will be paid from the calendar month in which the pension is applied for.

Processing time

Processing usually takes up to 4 months.

Required documents

  • Erforderliche Unterlage/n

    • Antrag auf Hinterbliebenenrente
    • Personaldokument (zum Beispiel Personalausweis, Reisepass, Geburtsurkunde oder Stammbuch)
    • Sterbeurkunde der Partnerin oder des Partners
    • Heiratsurkunde beziehungsweise Lebenspartnerschaftsurkunde
    • Nachweis über die Auflösung der Ehe oder eingetragenen Lebenspartnerschaft
    • Angaben zu Ihren Einkünften
    • letzte Rentenanpassungsmitteilung der Verstorbenen oder des Verstorbenen oder sonstige Rentenunterlagen


  • Form, Bavaria-wide: Formularpaket zur Erziehungsrente
    Please note

    This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.

Online procedures


  • There are no costs involved.


  • Objection. Detailed information can be found in the decision on your pension application.
  • Action before the Social Court. Detailed information can be found in the notice of appeal.


Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium für Arbeit und Soziales

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.