Preparatory service for teaching at public schools; registration
Graduates of the First State Examination must register for the preparatory service for a teaching position at a public school.
The preparatory service (Referendariat) is the second phase of training for the teaching profession at elementary schools, middle schools, secondary schools, high schools, special needs education and vocational schools, as well as for specialist and support teachers. It usually lasts 24 months and begins in September each year with the new school year, at Gymnasien and at vocational schools additionally also at half-year. The training includes the following elements:
- job shadowing in other subjects and other schools
- teaching experiments (planning and designing a teaching unit)
- coherent lessons
- independent teaching
- subject sessions to convey the contents of the subject-specific education
- practical training and exercises in suitable subjects
- general sessions/seminar events to convey the contents of education in pedagogy, psychology, school law and school studies as well as basic questions of civic education
- courses and events of several study seminars
At the end of the preparatory service, the second state examination for the respective teaching post is taken and, if passed, the teaching qualification is acquired.
One of the prerequisites for admission to the preparatory service is a first teacher's examination taken and passed in Bavaria (or, in the case of vocational schools, a Master's degree in vocational or business education), prior education recognized in the course of a recognition procedure that entitles the holder to be employed in another federal state in the preparatory service for the desired teaching position, or a successful application for a special measure that may have been advertised.
Registration for the preparatory service for a teaching position at public schools must be made via the online service provided (see under "Online procedure"). Here, the registration form to be signed is generated with the help of a web wizard.
After entering the necessary information, this is digitally forwarded to the State Ministry and additionally compiled in a PDF document. This document must be printed and signed by you. It is expressly pointed out that only the submission or sending of the completely filled out and signed form to the office named in the respective online procedure is considered as proper notification. It is not sufficient to only make the online registration, it is only valid in conjunction with the submission of a signed printout.
The application must be submitted no later than five months before the start of the preparatory service.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Unterricht und Kultus
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited