If the abortion is performed for criminological or medical reasons, the costs will be covered by the health insurance and settled by your doctor via the electronic health card (eGK). A prior application for cost coverage is not required. This is the case in the following two constellations:
- If the termination of the pregnancy is necessary from a medical point of view in order to avert a danger to your life or the risk of serious impairment of your physical or mental state of health, the health insurance fund will cover the costs of the termination of pregnancy. In this case, it is not necessary to apply to the health insurance company for the costs to be covered, as the doctor will make the necessary determination.
- If the pregnancy is to be terminated because it is the result of a criminal act (rape), the health insurance company will cover the costs of the abortion if no more than 12 weeks have passed since conception. In this case, it is not necessary to apply to the health insurance company for the costs to be covered, as the doctor will make the appropriate determinations.
If the abortion is performed for other reasons, the abortion is illegal if the following requirements are met in full, but it is not punishable:
- You expressly request the abortion.
- You prove to the doctor by means of a certificate from a recognized conflict counseling center that you have sought counseling at a pregnancy conflict counseling center at least three days before the procedure.
- A physician performs the abortion.
- No more than 12 weeks have passed since conception.
In this case, the health insurance company covers the costs for:
- the medical consultation on the maintenance and termination of the pregnancy,
- medical treatment, with the exception of abortion and post-abortion care in case of complications,
- the provision of medicines, dressings and remedies, and
- hospital treatment
The costs for the medical performance of the abortion itself as well as for the medical aftercare are not covered by the health insurance.
However, if you have no income or a low income, in certain cases you can apply to your statutory health insurance fund to have the costs of these services covered. This is the case, for example, if you are considered socially needy.