Special visa issued at the border; Issuance
In exceptional cases, both the Federal Police and other public authorities in charge of performing police checks of the cross-border traffic have the authority to issue special visa issued at the border and substitute documents in lieu of passports right at the border.
At the German borders (and also the German airport immigration desks, where applicable), the public authorities in charge of performing police checks of the cross-border traffic have the authority, under certain conditions, to issue special visa issued at the border if the applicant has not been in a position to apply for a visa in advance and submits, if required, supporting documents substantiating unforeseeable and imperative reasons for entry.
Whether or not a special visa issued at the border will be granted as a uniform Schengen visa or a national visa depends on the purpose of stay. The prerequisites for granting of the respective visa must as a general rule be met even for the issuance of a special visa issued at the border (the requirement for e.g. proof of medical insurance coverage may be waived if such medical insurance is not available at that border crossing point, or in case of humanitarian reasons).
As a general rule, the maximum validity period of every special visa issued at the border is fifteen days.
- Unforeseeable and imperative reasons for entry
- General prerequisites for the issuing of a visa (these may vary depending on the purpose of stay – see "Schengen Visa; Issuing and Renewal" and "National Visa; Issuing and Renewal" under "Related Issues")
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited