Dentist; application for permission to practice dentistry temporarily

If you want to practice the dental profession in the Federal Republic of Germany without a license as a dentist, you need a permit.


If you wish to practice dentistry in the Federal Republic of Germany, you generally require a license to practice dentistry.

If you have not completed your training in a member state of the European Union or a contracting state of the Agreement on the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you may also be granted a permit to practice dentistry temporarily upon application. The permit may be restricted to certain activities and places of employment. It may only be granted on a revocable basis and only up to a total duration of the dental activity of no more than two years. In exceptional cases, the permit may be extended beyond this period. In Bavaria, the Government of Upper Bavaria is responsible for issuing the permit for work in the administrative districts of Upper Bavaria, Lower Bavaria, Swabia and Upper Palatinate, and the Government of Lower Franconia is responsible for work in the administrative districts of Upper Franconia, Middle Franconia and Lower Franconia.

If you have completed your training in an EU/EEA state or Switzerland, you will not normally be granted a permit. Instead, you must immediately apply for an Approbation (license to practice medicine). An exception applies if there is a special interest in the granting of the permit with regard to the intended dental activity.

In certain cases, nationals of an EU/EEA state or Switzerland may practice the dental profession in the Federal Republic of Germany without an Approbation as a dentist or without a permit to temporarily practice dentistry, provided they temporarily and occasionally act as providers of services within the meaning of Article 57 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. However, you are subject to a notification requirement. The competent government (see above) will inform you whether you need a permit.


Basically, the most important requirement is that you can prove that you have completed a full course of dental training in accordance with the law of the state in which you acquired the training.

Further requirements are:

  • that you are not guilty of any conduct which would render you unworthy or unreliable to practice medicine (reliability),
  • you are not unfit to practice dentistry from a health point of view (health suitability), and
  • you have the knowledge of the German language required for the practice of the profession (language skills).


There are no deadlines to meet.

Required documents

  • Birth certificate/parentage certificate or extract from the parents' family register

    (certified copy)

  • if the name used differs from that on the birth certificate: proof of a change of name (e.g. marriage certificate)

    (certified copy)

  • valid proof of identity (e.g. passport)

    (certified copy)

  • complete and personally signed curriculum vitae

    (tabular and chronological list of the training courses completed and the relevant gainful activities pursued, stating the periods (month/year) and enclosing the relevant supporting documents)

  • Proof of exemption from punishment

    • Submission of criminal record extracts from all countries outside Germany in which the applicant has resided for more than six months.
    • The criminal record excerpts must not be older than three months at the time of their submission.
    • A certified copy of each of these extracts must be submitted.

  • Proof of your completed education (certified copy)

    • Proof of education such as diploma
    • If necessary, further country-specific certificates

  • Proof of authorisation to practise medicine in the country of training and/or the country of origin

    (certified copy)

  • if applicable, certificate of good standing (certified copy)

    (Required from all countries where the health professional activity has already been exercised in the last five years. This certificate must not be older than three months at the time of its presentation).

  • Technical language test to prove the required language skills

    (The registration with the competent chamber of health professions is carried out by the professional registration office. The result is transmitted directly from there).

  • On separate request:

    • Certificate of good conduct of document type "O", if the applicant has already stayed in Germany for more than six months in the past or has had or still has a residence in Germany.
      • In Germany, this must be applied for at the registration office of the place of residence, stating the purpose "Permit as dentist". The certificate of good conduct is sent directly to the competent authority by the Federal Office of Justice.
      • It must not be older than one month at the time of submission.
    • Medical certificate (original)
      This must be issued and signed by a general practitioner or internist practicing in Germany or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or in Switzerland and bear a practice or clinic stamp. If the practice or clinic stamp is not available in German, a German translation of the stamp is required.


Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.

  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide: Ärztliches Attest
    Please note

    This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.

Online procedures


  • The costs depend on the period of validity. A fee of 100 € is charged for each year or part thereof.


Administrative court proceedings; information

administrative claim

Links to more information


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit und Pflege

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.