Guarantor / insurance advisor / insurance intermediary / financial investment intermediary / fee-based financial investment advisor / real estate loan intermediary; recognize foreign professional qualification
- To work as a guardian, insurance advisor, insurance broker, financial investment broker, fee-based financial investment advisor or real estate loan broker, you need a certificate of expert knowledge.
- The certificate of competence is a prerequisite for the issuance of the respective trade license.
- You can have your foreign professional qualification recognized as proof of expert knowledge.
- You have a professional qualification as a guard, insurance advisor, insurance broker, financial investment broker, fee-based financial investment advisor or real estate loan broker from abroad.
- You would like to settle permanently in Germany and work in one of the professions mentioned.
- You submit an "Application for Recognition of Foreign Qualifications and Training Certificates" to the competent office.
For professional qualifications from EU/EEA/Switzerland:
You can submit the application and documents directly to the competent body or to a Single Point of Contact. You can also submit the application electronically via the Single Point of Contact.
- The competent body will then compare your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and check the equivalence. If your professional qualification is equivalent, it will be recognized. You will then receive the notification of equivalence (notification of recognition) by mail or electronically.
- If your professional qualification is not equivalent, it will not be recognized. You will then receive a notice of the differences in your professional qualification. You then have the right to a compensatory measure: this can be the "specific expert examination" or the "supplementary instruction". The competent body will inform you about the options. If you successfully complete the compensatory measure, you will receive the notice of equivalence.
- With the notice of equivalence, you can apply for the permit for the relevant trade. For this purpose, you must submit another application.
- You can take legal action against the decision of the competent body. The decision will then be reviewed. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.
Freedom to provide services
If you are established in a state of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, you do not need recognition of professional qualifications for temporary and occasional work as a service provider in Germany. However, special requirements apply: You must notify the competent body of your work prior to the first activity. The notification (according to § 13a GewO) takes place in a different procedure.
Procedure for late repatriates
As a late repatriate, you can go through the recognition procedure either according to the laws mentioned here or according to the Federal Expellees Act. You can decide this yourself.
Sometimes documents are still missing in the procedure. The responsible office will then inform you by when you have to submit the documents.
The competent body will confirm that your documents have arrived after a maximum of one month. The competent office will inform you if any documents are missing.
If all necessary documents are available, the procedure takes a maximum of 3 months. In individual cases, the procedure can be extended by a maximum of one month.
The responsible office will tell you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally:
- Proof of identity (identity card or passport in officially certified copy)
- List in tabular form of your education and professional experience (curriculum vitae)
- Proof of education
- Proof of relevant professional experience
- other certificates of qualification
- If the profession is regulated in your country of education: a certificate that you are allowed to practice the profession in your country of education.
The competent body will inform you which documents you have to submit as originals or as certified copies.
You must submit your documents in German. The translations must be made by publicly appointed or authorized translators.
The responsible office will inform you about the costs. The costs generally depend on the effort required for processing.
Additional costs may arise (e.g. for translations and certifications). These costs vary individually.
§§ 13c, 34a, 34d, 34f, 34h, 34i Gewerbeordnung
§§ 1, 4, 5a Bewachungsverordnung
§§ 1, 4a Versicherungsvermittlungsverordnung
§§ 1, 5 Finanzanlagenvermittlungsverordnung
§§ 1, 5 Immobiliardarlehensvermittlungsverordnung
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bundesinstitut für Berufsbildung
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited