"Interreg VI Europe" supports policy learning processes to exchange experience, knowledge and best practices between relevant policy institutions and improve the performance of policies and programs for regional development. The program enables regional and local authorities and other relevant actors at the regional level across Europe to exchange practices and ideas on public policy approaches and thus find solutions to improve their strategies for local citizens.
The program addresses six broader thematic areas, each of which is always closely linked to the development of local solutions through the exchange of experiences:
- "A Smarter Europe" (focus).
- "A greener andlow-carbon Europe" (priority area)
- "A more connected Europe"
- "A more social Europe" (focus)
- "A Europe closer to its citizens"
- "Better regional governance structures"
The funding program is aimed at national, regional and local authorities, bodies governed by public law (e.g. regional development agencies, business support institutions, universities) and private non-profit organizations. The headquarters of the respective institution must be located in an EU member state, Norway or Switzerland.
The program funds two types of activities:
- Projects of interregional cooperation between relevant political institutions from different European countries, in which cooperation on a specific policy area is carried out for approximately four years and the lessons learned from this cooperation are transferred into practice.
- Creating online platforms of continuous learning where institutions can find solution and policy approaches in the four thematic areas as well as contact with relevant experts.
Eligible costs include staff, administration, travel & accommodation and external consultancy/external services, and in exceptional justified cases, equipment and implementation of pilot projects.
Type and amount
Funding is provided as a grant, and its amount depends on the type and scope of the project. The funding rate is between 70 and 80 % of the eligible project costs.