Veterinary surgeon; application for permission to temporarily practice veterinary medicine
If you want to practice the veterinary profession in the Federal Republic of Germany without a license as a veterinarian, you need a permit.
Basically, the most important requirement is that you can prove that you have fully completed veterinary training in accordance with the law of the state in which you acquired the training.
Further requirements are:
- that you have not been guilty of any conduct from which it may be inferred that you are unworthy or unreliable to practice as a veterinarian (reliability),
- you are not unfit to practice as a veterinarian from a health point of view (health suitability), and
- you have the knowledge of the German language required for the exercise of the profession (language skills must be demonstrated at level B2 of the European Framework of Reference for Languages by means of a certificate from a recognized language institute).
Birth certificate/parentage certificate or extract from the parents' family register
if the name used differs from that on the birth certificate: proof of a change of name (e.g. marriage certificate)
valid proof of identity (e.g. passport)
complete and personally signed curriculum vitae
(tabular and chronological list of the training courses completed and the relevant gainful activities pursued, stating the periods (month/year) and enclosing the relevant supporting documents)
Proof of impunity
- Submission of criminal record extracts from all countries outside Germany in which the applicant has resided for more than six months.
- The criminal record extracts must not be older than three months at the time of submission.
- Certified copies of these extracts must be submitted.
Proof of your completed education (certified copy)
- Proof of education such as diploma
- If necessary, further country-specific certificates
Proof of authorisation to practise medicine in the country of training and/or the country of origin
if applicable, certificate of good standing (certified copy)
(Required from all countries where the health professional activity has already been exercised in the last five years. This certificate must not be older than three months at the time of its presentation).
Proof of required German language skills (certified copy)
(A certificate from an ALTE-certified language institute at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) must be presented).
On separate request:
- Certificate of good conduct of document type "O", if the applicant has already stayed in Germany for more than six months in the past or has had or still has a residence in Germany.
- In Germany, this must be applied for at the registration office of the place of residence, stating the purpose "Permit as veterinarian". The certificate of good conduct is sent directly to the competent authority by the Federal Office of Justice.
- It must not be older than one month at the time of its presentation.
- Medical certificate (original)
This must be issued and signed by a general practitioner or internist practicing in Germany or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or in Switzerland and bear a practice or clinic stamp. If the practice or clinic stamp is not available in German, a German translation of the stamp is required.
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit, Pflege und Prävention
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited