Patent attorney company; application for admission
The activity as a patent attorney company with limited liability requires a license according to §§ 52c ff. Patent Attorneys' Act (PAO).
The application for admission as a patent attorney company shall be addressed to the Chamber of Patent Attorneys. The Chamber of Patent Attorneys is a federal corporation under public law, which is supervised by the President of the German Patent and Trademark Office.
The essential basis for the admission of a patent attorney company is the partnership agreement, which must be notarized. The articles of association must meet the following requirements in particular:
- the object of the company must be limited to legal advice and representation within the meaning of Section 3 (2) and (3) PAO,
- the partners must be professionals capable of practicing law and must be professionally active in the company
- the majority of shares and voting rights must be held by patent attorneys,
- no participation of outside capital,
- responsible management by patent attorneys.
Application for admission as a patent attorney company
Articles of Association
proof of the conclusion of professional liability insurance
(A patent attorney firm is obliged to take out professional liability insurance with an insurance company authorised to do business in Germany and to maintain it for the duration of the authorisation. The minimum insurance sum is 2,500,000 euros for the individual case of damage. The insurer's benefits for all damages caused within one insurance year may be limited to the amount of the minimum insurance sum multiplied by the number of partners and managing directors who are not partners. However, the maximum annual benefit must amount to at least four times the minimum sum insured (§ 52j PAO in conjunction with § 45 PAO).
- The registration fee is 1,200 euros.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium der Justiz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited