Volunteer fire department; fire department
In Bavaria, around 315,000 volunteer firefighters in approximately 7,500 volunteer fire departments in Bavarian cities and communities take care of fire protection. Seven professional fire departments and more than 200 plant and company fire departments also fight against the red rooster.
The fire department in Bavaria is the responsibility of the municipalities. Within the limits of their capacity, the municipalities must establish, equip and maintain municipal fire departments (volunteer fire departments, compulsory fire departments and, under certain conditions, professional fire departments) and provide the necessary fire water supply facilities.
The tasks of the fire departments include, in particular, fire protection and the numerous technical assistance services, e.g. in the event of car accidents, accidents involving hazardous substances and floods. In addition, the fire departments can carry out voluntary tasks if this does not affect their operational readiness.
In the volunteer fire departments, community residents, as well as persons who have regular employment or training in a community, generally perform volunteer firefighting service between the ages of 18 and 65. Youth may join as firefighter candidates from the age of 12.
The commander of the local fire department decides on the admission of new firefighters and young people in each individual case. The commander also checks the physical and mental aptitude of the applicants. Specific information about the fire department at the respective place of residence can be obtained from the responsible municipality.
For volunteer firefighting service:
- All suitable persons may perform firefighting service in the municipality where they have a residence and in the municipality where they have regular employment or training, and in special cases in the respective neighboring municipalities.
- Age: between the completed 18th and the completed 65th year of life.
For volunteer firefighting service as a firefighter candidate:
- All suitable persons may perform firefighting service in the municipality where they have a residence and in the municipality where they have regular employment or training, and in special cases also in the respective neighboring municipalities.
- Age: between the completed 12th and the completed 18th year of age.
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited