Firearms license; application

If you want to carry a firearm in public, you need a firearms license, which is issued by the district administrative authority responsible for you - district office or independent city. This also applies to alarm, irritant and signal weapons.


To carry firearms in public, i.e. outside your home, business premises, your own contented property or a shooting range, you need a firearms license.

A small firearms license is required for alarm, irritant and signal weapons with the "PTB mark".

You do not need a firearms license to transport firearms that are not ready to be fired and not ready to be accessed, e.g. to the shooting range or for repair to a firearms dealer or when hunting or in connection with hunting.

The district administrative authority responsible for you will provide you with more details.


  • Reliability
  • Personal suitability
  • Minimum age 18 years
  • Expert knowledge
  • Need
  • Insurance
  • for small firearms license: only minimum age 18 years, personal suitability and reliability

The reliability is checked by the district administration. The proof of the expert knowledge and the need as well as the proof of an appropriate insurance are to be furnished by you. The carrying of weapons of any kind is generally prohibited at public events.

When applying for a firearms license or a shooting permit, proof of insurance against liability in the amount of 1 million euros - lump sum for personal injury and property damage - must be provided.

Required documents

  • Proof of insurance against liability in the amount of 1 million euros - lump sum for personal injury and property damage
  • Certificate of competence
  • Evidence of a particular hazard

    Documents which make it credible that you are substantially more endangered than the general public by attacks on life or limb and that the access-ready possession of firearms outside your contented property, e.g. your home or your fenced property, is suitable for reducing this endangerment. No special justification is required in the case of a small firearms licence.

  • Proof of need


    • Firearms license: between 100 and 500 euros
    • Small firearms license: between 30 and 150 euros

Legal bases


Administrative court proceedings; information

administrative claim

Status: 09.09.2022

Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.