Small arms license; application

If you want to carry alarm, irritant and signal weapons with approval marks of the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) in public, you must first apply for a small arms license.



To obtain the small firearms license, you must be

  • be at least 18 years old
  • be reliable in terms of weapons law and
  • personal suitability


Reliability under weapons law

You must be reliable under weapons law.

You may be deemed unreliable under weapons law if, among other things

  • you have been legally sentenced to a prison term of at least one year within the last 10 years or have been a member of or supported a prohibited organization within the last 10 years.
  • it can be assumed that you misuse or improperly handle weapons or ammunition, do not store these items carefully or hand them over to persons who are not authorized to do so.
  • you have been in preventive police custody more than once in the last 5 years with judicial authorization due to violence.
  • You have repeatedly or grossly violated firearms laws.

Personal suitability

You must be personally suitable.

You can be assessed as personally unsuitable if, among other things

  • You are legally incompetent.
  • You are addicted to alcohol or other intoxicating substances, are mentally ill or debilitated.
  • you suffer from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
  • it can be assumed that you are not able to handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or that there is a concrete danger that you will endanger others or yourself.


You must apply for the small firearms license at the competent firearms authority. Submit the application together with the required documents.

The firearms authority will issue the small firearms license if you meet the necessary requirements.

Required documents

  • The following documents are required:

    • Identity card or passport (copy)


  • The fees for issuing a small firearms license range from 30 to 150 EUR.


Commitment action at the administrative court


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.