Biotechnology and genetic engineering, life sciences; application for funding
The Free State of Bavaria supports cooperation projects in the field of life sciences, with a focus on biotechnology and genetic engineering, provided that they can be attributed to industrial research or experimental development.
The funding is intended to enable commercial enterprises to carry out basic research and development work in the field of modern biotechnology and genetic engineering and to enable or accelerate the translation of research and development results in modern biotechnology and genetic engineering into new products, new processes, new technologies and new knowledge-based services.
Funding will be provided in particular for the following subject areas and issues:
- Research and development of bioprocess technologies,
- Research and development of biotechnological production processes, e.g. for biofuels or basic materials for the chemical industry,
- Research and development of technical enzymes and biocatalysts as well as new biomaterials,
- Research and development of mechanisms of action,
- Research and development of active substances, vaccines and diagnostics,
- Research and development of technology platforms, in particular in the above priority areas.
Priority will be given to research and development projects that are embedded in a growth-oriented corporate strategy.
Recipients of funding
The following are eligible to apply
- Companies with their registered office or branch in the Free State of Bavaria,
- non-university research institutions as well as state universities and institutions of state universities in Bavaria,
- Other applicants based or established in the Free State of Bavaria who have the technical qualifications and sufficient capacity to successfully complete the tasks described in the project.
The research, development and innovation (R&D&I) projects must be carried out in close cooperation between several companies from the commercial sector or between such companies and research institutions. Several partners along the value-added chain should cooperate. Preference will be given to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
The following are eligible for funding
- Personnel costs (flat rates),
- costs for instruments and equipment,
- costs of contract research, technical know-how and patents acquired directly or under licence from third parties, as well as costs of consultancy and equivalent services used exclusively for the research and development project,
- other operating expenditure (materials, supplies, etc.) incurred directly as a result of the research and development activity.
Type and scope
The funding will be provided in the form of grants as part of project funding.
The aid intensity amounts to
- up to 50 percent of the eligible costs of the project or feasibility study in the case of industrial research
- up to 25 per cent of the eligible costs of the project or feasibility study in the case of experimental development.
In the case of collaborative projects, the aid intensity is determined for each individual beneficiary; the maximum aid intensity for the collaborative project is 50 percent. In addition, up to 15 percentage points may be granted to industrial project partners if the requirements of Article 25(6)(b) of the GBER are met.
If different project activities can be assigned to both industrial research and experimental development, the funding rate will be determined on a pro rata basis.
- The implementation of the project must involve a significant technical and economic risk.
- The project must be characterised by a high degree of innovation, i.e. the technologies, products and services to be developed must go beyond the state of the art in science and technology.
- The essential parts of the project must be carried out in Bavaria.
- Funding will not be provided for projects which have already begun before the project management organization has received a verifiable application or which are being carried out mainly on behalf of third parties not involved in the collaborative project.
- At least one of the partners substantially involved in the project must already have specific research and development capacities and relevant technical experience at the time the application is submitted, in the case of companies also in the field of production.
- Applicants or project participants must be able to demonstrate that they will use an appropriate amount of their own or external funds to finance the project, which will not be financed by other public aid or interest subsidies.
- Cumulation with funds of the European Union or with other state aid is only possible under the conditions of Art. 8 General Block Exemption Regulation (GBER).
- Enterprises in difficulty pursuant to Art. 1 para. 4 lit. c) in conjunction with Art. 2 No. 18 GBER are not eligible for support. This applies in particular to applicants in respect of whose assets insolvency proceedings have been applied for or opened. The same applies to applicants and, if the applicant is a legal entity, to its legal representatives, who have submitted or are obliged to submit a statutory declaration in lieu of an oath pursuant to section 807 of the German Code of Civil Procedure (ZPO) or section 284 of the German Fiscal Code (AO).
- Aid may not be granted under these eligibility principles to an undertaking which has failed to comply with a recovery order issued on the basis of a previous Commission decision declaring an aid illegal and incompatible with the common market.
- The publication of the approval of projects is carried out in accordance with Article 9(1)(c) GBER. (c) of the GBER in conjunction with Annex III to the GBER.
- Outlines and applications for grants must be sent to the project management organisation.
- Applications must be submitted in writing and electronically. The access data for this can be obtained from the project management organization. Further information is available on the Internet platform for electronic application (ELAN) of the State Ministry for Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy (see "Online procedure").
- The project management organization will review the outlines and applications in the name of and on behalf of the Free State of Bavaria, make a recommendation for the funding decision, if necessary also with the involvement of expert consultants, and handle the processing of the funding, the processing of payment requests, the review of the interim reports, the proof of use and the utilization reports as well as the handling of the correspondence with the applicants. The project executing agency is entitled to obtain explanations from the applicants on the applications and on the handling of the funding. The project management organization is obliged to maintain confidentiality.
- The granting authority is the Bavarian State Ministry of Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy. The granting authority issues the notification of award and disburses the funds. The calls for funds and the proof of use must be submitted to the project management agency, which forwards them to the granting authority.
- Pursuant to Art. 91 BayHO, the Bavarian Supreme Audit Office is entitled to conduct additional audits of the grant recipients.
- Calls for funding are issued.
- Early contact with the project executing agency is recommended.
- Funding is provided without legal entitlement within the framework of the available budget funds.
Project outlines and project description
In the first stage, project outlines (in accordance with the call for proposals) must be submitted to the project management organization in full and on time. After a comparative project selection, an application including a detailed project description, including an exploitation plan and proof of funding, must be submitted for selected projects for each network participant. Projects that are not selected will not be considered further.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft, Landesentwicklung und Energie
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited