Child day care; application for a care permit
If you want to work as a childminder, you need a care permit before you start working and from the first child.
A person who wants to look after a child or several children under the age of 14 outside the household of the legal guardian during part of the day and for more than 15 hours a week for longer than three months in return for payment requires permission. This is issued by the local youth welfare office (§ 87a SGB VIII).
The care permit is limited to five years and can be subject to additional conditions.
The permit authorizes the care of up to five foreign children present at the same time. In individual cases, the permit can be limited to less than five children (e.g. if the premises are too small for five children). The total number of children to be cared for is limited to eight care relationships.
Large-scale day care is a form of day care in which several day care providers care for the children who are contractually and personally assigned to them in common rooms (the large-scale day care center). In Bavaria, no more than three daycare providers may be permanently active in large-scale daycare and no more than ten children may be cared for at the same time, with a maximum of 16 care relationships. If more than eight children are cared for at the same time, at least one daycare provider must be an educational specialist.
Prerequisites for suitability as a caregiver are, among other things, personal, professional and health suitability. For example, the following criteria are checked:
- suitable home environment/premises for the care of children
- personal suitability and qualification that qualifies to care for children
- the well-being of the day care child must be guaranteed (as well as that of the children who may already be living with the family)
- orderly economic circumstances
Before you apply for permission, you should seek advice from the youth welfare office. They will tell you which requirements you have to meet and what evidence you need to provide.
You can then submit the application in writing to the responsible youth welfare office or hand it in personally for recording.
The Youth Welfare Office will check your personal suitability and the available premises.
If the requirements are met, permission is granted.
The care of children can only take place after the permission has been granted.
The care permit is valid for five years.
You can apply for an extension before the period expires.
During the counselling interview at your youth welfare office, you will find out which specific documents you need - among others:
- extended certificate of good conduct
- Short curriculum vitae
- Proof of education
- Proof of course "First aid for babies and small children".
- Pedagogical concept, in particular with statements on
- General conditions
- Family structure
- Aims of the pedagogical work
- Developmental conditions of the children
- Opportunities for experience and support
- Health education, nutrition
- Daily routine
- Aims and forms of parental work, cooperation with facilities and institutions
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Familie, Arbeit und Soziales
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited