Weapons possession card for hunting association; application

If you want to acquire and possess weapons and/or ammunition as a hunting association, you must apply for a permit from the relevant weapons authority.


Basically, you always need a permit to acquire and possess firearms and ammunition.

In general, firearms are objects intended for attack or defense, signaling, hunting, distance injection, marking, sport or play, and in which projectiles are propelled through a barrel or in which solid bodies are fired in a targeted manner, the propulsive energy of which is introduced by muscle power or another energy source and can be stored or held by a locking device (for example, crossbows, arrow launchers).

A distinction is made between firearms requiring a permit and firearms not requiring a permit. To be allowed to carry firearms without a permit, you need a small firearms license. All weapons that are not alarm, irritant and signal weapons with the PTB mark in the circle are counted as weapons requiring a permit. A detailed list of weapons for the acquisition and possession of which you need a weapons possession card can be found in Annex 2 of the Weapons Act.

You must designate a responsible person who must be reliable under weapons law and personally suitable, and who can demonstrate the required expertise. This person does not have to be authorized to represent the company, i.e. for example not a member of the board of directors. If the responsible person leaves the hunting association, you must immediately notify the competent authority and appoint a new responsible person within 2 weeks. Otherwise, the competent authority will revoke your permit to acquire and possess weapons (weapons possession card).

It is recommended that you inform yourself in detail about the regulations of the weapons law before applying.

In order to obtain permission to acquire and possess weapons and ammunition requiring a permit, you must be registered as a hunting association in the association register and provide evidence of the safe storage of weapons and ammunition. The responsible person appointed by you must

  • have the appropriate age as well as
  • their reliability under weapons law,
  • their personal suitability and
  • their expertise in handling weapons and ammunition.


  • The person responsible must be at least 25 years old.
  • The responsible person must prove his reliability under weapons law.

    The responsible person can be assessed as reliable under weapons law, among other things,
    • if he/she has not been legally sentenced to a prison term of at least 1 year within the last 10 years and has not been a member of or supported a prohibited organization within the last 10 years.
    • if it cannot be assumed that he/she misuses or improperly handles weapons or ammunition, does not keep these objects carefully or hands them over to persons who are not authorized to do so.
    • if he/she has not been in preventive police custody with judicial authorization for violence more than once in the last 5 years.
    • if he/she has not repeatedly or grossly violated the weapons law.
  • The responsible person must prove his personal suitability.

    The responsible person can be assessed as personally unsuitable, among other things, if
    • she is legally incompetent.
    • she is addicted to alcohol or other intoxicating substances, is mentally ill or is a moron.
    • she suffers from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
    • it can be assumed that he or she cannot handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or that there is a concrete danger that he or she will endanger others or himself or herself.
  • The responsible person must prove that he or she has sufficient knowledge of weapons and ammunition and how to handle them (expert knowledge).

    To obtain expert knowledge in handling weapons and ammunition, he or she must attend an appropriate training course. The course includes a theoretical and practical part. At the end of the course, an examination is taken before an authorized examination board. If the examination is passed, the responsible person receives a certificate for which weapons and ammunition the expert knowledge has been acquired. The responsible person can also obtain the expert knowledge only for the weapons and ammunition that you wish to acquire and possess as a hunting association. The

    responsible person does not have to take a separate expert knowledge examination if he or she

    • the hunter's examination or an examination equivalent to it, or
    • has passed a journeyman's examination for the gunsmith's trade or
    • has worked for at least 3 years as a full-time employee in the trade of firearms and ammunition.

In these cases, only appropriate evidence must be presented.

  • You must prove that you can store weapons and ammunition safely.

    This generally means that only the responsible person has access to weapons and ammunition, for example, by carrying the key with them at all times or otherwise keeping it safe. If you do not store your weapons and ammunition securely, you are committing an administrative offense for which a fine of up to EUR 10,000 can be imposed. In addition, this may cast doubt on the reliability of the person responsible under weapons law and you, as a hunting association, may have your weapons possession card revoked.

    When submitting your application, you must provide information on both the storage location and the container in which you intend to store weapons and ammunition

    . In

    principle, you can orientate yourself on the following specifications:

    • You must store ammunition requiring a permit in a sheet steel cabinet/container with a swing bolt lock.
    • In order to store long guns and handguns requiring a permit as well as ammunition requiring a permit, you need a gun cabinet. The type of gun cabinet you need depends on the number and type of weapons and/or ammunition you wish to acquire and possess.
      • You may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 5 handguns and ammunition in a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 according to EN 1143-1 weighing up to 200 kilograms.
      • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 according to EN 1143-1 with a weight of more than 200 kilograms, you may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 10 handguns and ammunition.
      • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade 1 according to EN 1143-1 you may store an unlimited number of long guns and handguns as well as ammunition.
    • The following regulations generally apply to the place where you may install the gun cabinet:
      • If you live in an apartment building, you are not allowed to place the gun cabinet in the basement if each resident has only one so-called basement locker, which is only secured by a door with a padlock.
      • You are allowed to store up to 3 long guns in buildings that are not permanently inhabited, such as a hunting lodge or a weekend house. However, for this you need a gun cabinet with resistance grade 1.
      • If you live with another gun owner in a shared household, you may store the guns in a shared gun cabinet.
    • As a hunter, you may also temporarily have your long guns stored by another hunter in his gun cabinet. However, this time should be limited; permanent storage is not allowed. For permanent storage, you should purchase your own gun cabinet to which only you have access.
    • It is also permitted to store weapons and ammunition at a weapons dealer. You must provide appropriate proof of this.


You can apply for the acquisition and possession of weapons and/or ammunition requiring a permit in writing and, if necessary, online.

If you apply for the acquisition and possession in writing:

  • You fill out the form provided by the competent weapons authority.
  • You send the signed form and the required documents to the competent weapons authority.
  • You may also visit the competent weapons authority in person and hand in the application.

If the acquisition and possession can also be applied for online:

    • You submit the application via the online service of the competent firearms authority and upload the required documents.

    Required documents

    • Required Documents:

      • Identity card or passport (copy)
      • Extract from the register of associations
      • Proof of expertise (responsible person)
      • Proof of storage, e.g. purchase contract for a gun cabinet and/or photos of gun cabinet and place of installation
      • If applicable, medical or psychological certificate on the mental fitness of the responsible person (if under 21 years of age in the case of sport shooters or under 25 years of age in the case of other persons).


    • The fees for the issuance of a weapons possession card are between 30.00 and 200.00 EUR. The district administrative authority responsible for you will be happy to provide you with more details.


    Administrative court proceedings; information

    administrative claim

    Status: 03.02.2023

    Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

    Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

    • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
    • Online transactions, locally limited
    • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
    • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
    • Legal bases, locally limited
    • Fees, Bavaria-wide
    • Fees, locally limited
    Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

    Responsible for you

    If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.