Weapons possession card; application for hunting association

If you wish to acquire and possess weapons and/or ammunition as a hunting association, you must apply for a permit from the relevant weapons authority.



  • The hunting association must be a legal entity, i.e. registered in the register of associations, for example.
  • The person responsible must be at least 18 years old.
  • The person responsible must be reliable under firearms law.

    They may be deemed unreliable under firearms law if, among other things
    • they have been sentenced to at least one year's imprisonment within the last 10 years or have been a member of or supported a prohibited organization in the last 10 years.
    • it can be assumed that they misuse weapons or ammunition or handle them improperly, do not store these items carefully or hand them over to persons who are not authorized to do so.
    • if they have been in preventive police custody more than once in the last 5 years with judicial authorization due to violence.
    • if they have repeatedly or grossly violated firearms legislation.
  • The responsible person must be personally suitable.

    The responsible person may be deemed personally unsuitable if, among other things
    • they are legally incompetent.
    • they are dependent on alcohol or other intoxicating substances, mentally ill or mentally retarded.
    • they suffer from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
    • it can be assumed that they cannot handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or cannot store these objects carefully or that there is a concrete danger that they will endanger others or themselves.
  • The responsible person must prove that they have sufficient knowledge of weapons and ammunition and how to handle them (expertise).

    In order to be able to prove expertise in handling weapons and ammunition, they must have taken part in an appropriate training course. The course comprises a theoretical and practical part. At the end of the course, an examination is taken before an authorized examination board. If the examination is passed, the responsible person receives proof of the weapons and ammunition for which the certificate of competence has been acquired. The responsible person can also obtain the certificate of competence only for the weapons and ammunition that you wish to acquire and possess as a hunting association.

    The certificate of competence can also be proven by passing a hunting examination.
  • You must prove that you can store weapons and ammunition safely.

    This generally means that only authorized persons may have access to weapons and ammunition. If you do not store your weapons and ammunition safely, you are committing an administrative offense for which a fine of up to EUR 10,000 can be imposed. In addition, this may cast doubt on the reliability of the person responsible under firearms law and the hunting association's firearms possession card may be withdrawn.

    When applying, you must provide details of both the storage location and the container in which you wish to store weapons and ammunition. The storage requirements are based on § 13 of the General Weapons Act Ordinance (AWaffV). In cases of doubt, please contact the authority responsible for you.

    In principle, you can use the following guidelines as a guide:
    • You must store ammunition requiring a permit in a sheet steel cabinet/container with a swing bolt lock or an equivalent locking device.
    • You need a gun cabinet to store long guns and handguns that require a permit. The type of gun cabinet you need depends on the number and type of weapons and/or ammunition you wish to purchase and own.
      • You can store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 5 handguns and ammunition in a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 in accordance with the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard weighing up to 200 kilograms.
      • You may store an unlimited number of long weapons, up to 10 short weapons and ammunition in a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 in accordance with the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard weighing over 200 kilograms.
      • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade I in accordance with the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard, you may store an unlimited number of long guns and handguns as well as ammunition.
    • The following regulations apply to the location where you may set up the gun cabinet:
      • You may also store up to 3 long guns in buildings that are not permanently inhabited, such as a hunting lodge or a weekend house. However, you need a gun cabinet with resistance grade I for this.
      • If you live in a shared household with another person who is also entitled to own weapons, you may store the weapons in a shared gun cabinet.


You must apply for a permit to purchase and possess weapons and/or ammunition that require a permit from the relevant weapons authority. Submit the application together with the required documents.

Required documents

  • Required Documents:

    • Identity card or passport (copy)
    • Extract from the register of associations
    • Proof of expertise (responsible person)
    • Proof of storage, e.g. purchase contract for a gun cabinet and/or photos of gun cabinet and place of installation


  • The fees for issuing a gun ownership card are between 30 and 200 EUR. The district administrative authority responsible for you will be happy to provide you with more details.


Administrative court proceedings; information

Administrative court action


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.