Red gun permit for firearms or ammunition experts; application.

If you wish to acquire and possess weapons and/or ammunition in order to test, examine or inspect them, you must apply for a permit from the relevant weapons authority.


In general, firearms are objects intended for attack or defense, signaling, hunting, distance injection, marking, sport or play, and in which projectiles are propelled through a barrel or in which solid bodies are fired in a targeted manner, the propulsive energy of which is introduced by muscle power or another energy source and can be stored or held by a locking device (for example, crossbows, arrow launchers).

A distinction is made between firearms requiring a permit and firearms not requiring a permit. To be allowed to carry firearms without a permit, you need a small firearms license. All weapons that are not alarm, irritant and signal weapons with PTB mark in the circle are subject to authorization. A detailed list of weapons for which a permit is required for acquisition and possession can be found in Annex 2 of the Weapons Act.

It is recommended that you inform yourself in detail about the regulations of the Weapons Law before applying.

In order to obtain permission to acquire and possess weapons and ammunition requiring a permit, you must be

  • be at least 25 years old and
  • Your need,
  • your reliability under weapons law,
  • your personal suitability,
  • your expertise in handling weapons and ammunition, and
  • prove the safe storage of weapons and ammunition.


  • You must be at least 25 years of age.

    If you are under 25 years of age, you may be required by the competent firearms authority to submit a specialist medical or specialist psychological report/testimonial on your mental fitness. You must pay for the expert opinion/testimony yourself and send the original by mail to the competent firearms authority. A copy or e-mail will not be accepted.
  • You must prove that you are active as a weapons and ammunition expert (need).

    You can provide proof, for example, by means of a certificate of activity.
  • You must prove your reliability under weapons law.

    You can be assessed as reliable under weapons law if, among other things.
    • you have not been legally sentenced to a custodial sentence of at least 1 year within the last 10 years and have not been a member of or supported a prohibited organization within the last 10 years.
    • it cannot be assumed that you misuse or improperly handle weapons or ammunition, do not store these items carefully or hand them over to persons who are not authorized to do so.
    • you have not been in preventive police custody with judicial authorization for violence more than once in the last 5 years.
    • You have not repeatedly or grossly violated the weapons law.
  • You must prove your personal suitability.

    You can be assessed as personally unsuitable, among other things, if
    • You are legally incompetent.
    • You are addicted to alcohol or other intoxicating substances, mentally ill, or debilitated.
    • you suffer from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
    • it can be assumed that you cannot handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly, or that you cannot store these items carefully, or that there is a concrete danger that you will endanger others or yourself.
  • You must prove that you have sufficient knowledge of weapons and ammunition and how to handle them (expert knowledge).

    To be allowed to acquire and possess weapons and ammunition, you must prove that you can handle them appropriately. In order to obtain the expertise in handling weapons and ammunition, you must attend a corresponding course. The course includes a theoretical and practical part. At the end of the course, you will take an examination before an authorized examination board. If you pass the exam, you will receive a certificate for which weapons and ammunition you have acquired the expertise.
  • You must demonstrate that you can safely store weapons and ammunition.

    This generally means that only you, as an authorized person, have access to weapons and ammunition, for example, by carrying the key with you at all times. If you do not store your weapons and ammunition securely, you commit an administrative offense for which a fine of up to 10,000 EUR can be imposed. In addition, your reliability under weapons law may be called into question and your weapons possession card may be revoked.

    When submitting your application, you must provide information on both the storage location and the container in which you intend to store weapons and ammunition

    . In

    principle, you can use the following guidelines as a guide:

    • You must store ammunition requiring a permit in a sheet steel cabinet/container with a swing bolt lock.
    • In order to store long guns and handguns requiring a permit as well as ammunition requiring a permit, you need a gun cabinet. The type of gun cabinet you need depends on the number and type of weapons and/or ammunition you wish to acquire and possess.
      • You may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 5 handguns and ammunition in a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 in accordance with EN 1143-1 weighing up to 200 kilograms.
      • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 according to EN 1143-1 with a weight of more than 200 kilograms, you may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 10 handguns and ammunition.
      • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade 1 according to EN 1143-1 you may store an unlimited number of long guns and handguns as well as ammunition.
    • The following regulations apply in principle to the place where you may install the weapons cabinet:
      • If you live in an apartment building, you are not allowed to place the gun cabinet in the basement if each resident has only one so-called basement locker, which is secured only by a door with a padlock.
      • You are allowed to store up to 3 long guns in buildings that are not permanently inhabited, such as a hunting lodge or a weekend house. However, for this you need a gun cabinet with resistance grade 1.
      • If you live with another gun owner in a shared household, you may store the guns in a shared gun cabinet.
    • As a hunter, you may also temporarily have your long guns stored by another hunter in his gun cabinet. However, this time should be limited; permanent storage is not allowed. For permanent storage, you should purchase your own gun cabinet to which only you have access.
    • It is also permitted to store weapons and ammunition at a weapons dealer. You must provide appropriate proof of this.


You can apply for the purchase and possession of weapons and/or ammunition requiring a permit in writing and, if necessary, online.

If you apply for the permit in writing:

  • You fill out the form provided by the relevant firearms authority.
  • You send the signed form and proof of your activity as a weapons or ammunition expert and the expert opinion proving your personal suitability (if required) to the competent weapons authority.
  • You can also visit the competent weapons authority in person and hand in the application.

If the acquisition and possession can also be applied for online:

  • You submit the application via the online service of the competent weapons authority and upload proof of your activity as a weapons or ammunition expert.
  • You may have to send the required expert opinion/certificate on your personal suitability to the competent firearms authority by mail or you can bring it in person.

Required documents

  • Required Documents:

    • Identity card or passport (copy)
    • Proof of activity as a weapons or ammunition expert
    • Proof of expertise
    • Proof of storage, e.g. purchase contract for a gun cabinet and/or photos of gun cabinet and place of installation
    • If applicable, medical or psychological certificate of mental fitness (if under 25 years of age)


  • The fees for the issuance of a weapons possession card are between 30.00 and 200.00 EUR. The district administrative authority responsible for you will be happy to provide you with more details.


Administrative court proceedings; information

administrative claim

Status: 29.09.2022

Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.