Green gun possession card for heirs; application

If you have inherited weapons and/or ammunition, you must apply for a permit for continued possession of the weapons from the relevant weapons authority within one month.



  • You must be at least 18 years of age.

    If you are under 25 years of age, you will be requested by the competent firearms authority to submit a specialist medical or specialist psychological report/testimonial on your mental fitness. You must pay for the certificate yourself and send the original to the relevant firearms authority by mail.

    If you are a hunter, you do not need such a certificate.
  • You must prove that it is necessary for you to continue to possess the inherited weapons and ammunition (need).

    In order to continue to possess the inherited weapons and ammunition, you must provide a credible reason to the responsible weapons authority (need). As a rule, a credible reason is recognized if
    • You are a hunter.
    • you are a marksman.
    • Your life is in great danger.
    • you can credibly demonstrate other reasons why you want to own weapons and ammunition.

If you cannot credibly demonstrate a need to possess the inherited weapons, you must have the weapons requiring a permit fitted with a blocking system (for more information, see above). This does not apply if you already have a weapons possession card.

  • You must prove your reliability under weapons law.

    You can be assessed as unreliable under weapons law, among other things, if
    • you have been legally sentenced to a custodial sentence of at least 1 year within the last 10 years or have been a member of or supported a prohibited organization within the last 10 years.
    • it can be assumed that you misuse or improperly handle weapons or ammunition, do not store these items carefully or hand them over to persons who are not authorized to do so.
    • you have been in preventive police custody more than once in the last 5 years with judicial authorization due to violence.
    • You have repeatedly or grossly violated the weapons law.
  • You must demonstrate personal fitness.

    You may be judged personally unfit if, among other things
    • You are legally incompetent.
    • You are addicted to alcohol or other intoxicating substances, mentally ill or debilitated.
    • You suffer from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
    • it can be assumed that you are not able to handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or that there is a concrete danger that you will endanger others or yourself.

You must prove that you have sufficient knowledge about weapons and ammunition and how to handle them (expert knowledge).

In order to be able to prove your expertise in handling weapons and ammunition, you must have taken part in a corresponding course. The course comprises a theoretical and practical part. At the end of the course, you will take an examination before an authorized examination board. If you pass the examination, you will receive a certificate for which weapons and ammunition you have acquired the expertise. You can also obtain the expertise only for the weapons and ammunition that you wish to possess.

You do not have to take a separate examination if you can prove that you have the required expertise elsewhere, e.g. if you are a hunter and have passed the hunter's examination or an equivalent examination. In these cases, you only need to provide suitable evidence.

  • You must prove that you can store weapons and ammunition safely.

    You must store weapons and ammunition safely. This generally means that only you, as the authorized person, have access to weapons and ammunition, for example, by carrying the key with you at all times. If you do not store your weapons and ammunition securely, you commit an administrative offense for which a fine of up to 10,000 EUR can be imposed. In addition, your reliability under weapons law may be called into question and your weapons possession card may be revoked.

    When submitting your application, you must provide information on both the storage location and the container in which you intend to store weapons and ammunition. The storage requirements are based on Section 13 of the General Weapons Act Ordinance (AWaffV). In case of doubt, please contact the authority responsible for you. Basically, you can orientate yourself on the following requirements:
    • You must store ammunition requiring a permit in a sheet steel cabinet/container with a swing bolt lock or an equivalent locking device.
    • To store long guns and handguns requiring a permit, you need a gun cabinet. The type of gun cabinet you need depends on the number and type of weapons and/or ammunition you want to acquire and possess.
      • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 according to the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard with a weight of up to 200 kilograms, you may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 5 handguns and ammunition.
      • In a firearms cabinet with resistance grade 0 in accordance with the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard with a weight of over 200 kilograms, you may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 10 handguns and ammunition.
      • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade I according to the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard, you may store an unlimited number of long guns and handguns as well as ammunition.
    • The following regulations apply in principle to the place where you are allowed to install the weapons cabinet:
      • You may store up to 3 long guns even in buildings that are not permanently inhabited, such as a hunting lodge or a weekend house. However, for this you need a gun cabinet with resistance grade 1.
      • If you live in the same household as another person who is also authorized to own firearms, you may store the firearms in a joint firearms cabinet.
    • It is also permitted to store weapons and ammunition with a weapons dealer. You must provide appropriate proof of this.


You must apply for the green weapon possession card for heirs or for the entry of the inherited weapon in your existing weapon possession card at the responsible weapons authority. Submit the application together with the required documents.

The firearms authority will issue the green firearms possession card for heirs or make the entry in the firearms possession card if you meet the necessary requirements.


Notification: immediately

Application for the weapon owner's permit: one month from the acceptance of the inheritance or expiry of the period prescribed for the disclaimer of the inheritance.

Required documents

  • The following documents are required:

    • Identity card or passport (copy)
    • Proof of storage, e.g. purchase contract for a gun cabinet and/or photos of gun cabinet and place of installation
    • if under 25 years of age: specialist medical or specialist psychological certificate of your mental aptitude
    • only in case of community of heirs: if applicable, declaration of renunciation that the other members of the community of heirs do not want to possess the weapons


  • The fees for issuing the green firearms possession card range from EUR 30 to EUR 150.

    If a joint permit is to be issued, an additional 50% of the fee charged for the firearms possession card is payable for each additional person registered.

    The fee for the registration of the right of possession for the inherited weapons in an existing weapons possession card is 75% of the fee charged for the respective weapons possession card.


administrative claim


Responsible for editing:Zentrale Redaktion BayernPortal im Bayerischen Staatsministerium für Digitales

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.