Weapons possession card for shooting sports club; application

If you want to acquire and possess weapons and/or ammunition as a shooting sports club, you must apply for a permit from the responsible weapons authority.


If you wish to acquire firearms requiring a permit for a shooting sports club, you can apply for the firearms possession card required for this purpose to be issued to the club rather than to you personally.

For this purpose, you must appoint a responsible person who must be reliable and personally suitable in terms of firearms law and who can provide evidence of the required expertise. This person does not have to be authorized to represent the association, i.e. for example not a member of the board of directors. If the responsible person leaves the association, you must inform the competent authority immediately and appoint a new responsible person within 2 weeks. Otherwise, the competent authority will withdraw your permit to acquire and possess weapons (weapons possession card).

It is recommended that you inform yourself in detail about the regulations of the weapons law before submitting your application.

In order to obtain permission to acquire and possess weapons and ammunition that require a permit, the club must be a member of a recognized shooting sports association and be entered in the club register. You must also provide proof of safe storage of weapons and ammunition. The responsible person appointed by you must

  • have the appropriate age and
  • their reliability under weapons law,
  • their personal suitability and
  • their expertise in handling weapons and ammunition.



  • The club must be a member of a recognized shooting sports association and be entered in the register of associations.
  • The responsible person must be at least 21 years of age.

    If the responsible person is under 25 years of age, he/she will be requested by the competent firearms authority to submit a specialist medical or specialist psychological certificate/attestation of mental fitness. The responsible person must pay for the expert opinion/certificate himself/herself and send the original by mail to the competent firearms authority.
  • The responsible person must prove his/her reliability under weapons law.

    The responsible person can be assessed as unreliable under weapons law, among other things,
    • if he/she has been legally sentenced to a custodial sentence of at least 1 year within the last 10 years or has been a member of or supported a prohibited organization within the last 10 years.
    • if it can be assumed that he/she misuses or improperly handles weapons or ammunition, does not keep these objects carefully or hands them over to persons who are not authorized to do so.
    • if he/she has been in preventive police custody more than once in the last 5 years with judicial authorization due to violence.
    • if he/she has repeatedly or grossly violated the weapons law.
  • The person in charge must prove his or her personal suitability.

    The person in charge can be assessed as personally unsuitable if, among other things
    • he or she is legally incompetent
    • he or she is addicted to alcohol or other intoxicating substances, is mentally ill or debilitated.
    • he/she suffers from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
    • it can be assumed that he or she cannot handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or that there is a concrete danger that he or she will endanger others or himself or herself.
  • The responsible person must prove that he or she has sufficient knowledge of weapons and ammunition and how to handle them (expert knowledge).

    In order to be able to prove expert knowledge in handling weapons and ammunition, he or she must have taken part in an appropriate training course. The course comprises a theoretical and practical part. At the end of the course, an examination is taken before an authorized examination board. If the examination is passed, the responsible person receives a certificate for which weapons and ammunition the expert knowledge has been acquired. The responsible person can also obtain the expert knowledge only for the weapons and ammunition that the shooting sports club wishes to acquire and possess.
  • You must prove that you can store weapons and ammunition safely.

    You must store weapons and ammunition safely. This generally means that only the person in charge has access to weapons and ammunition, for example, by carrying the key with them at all times or otherwise keeping them safe. If you do not store your weapons and ammunition securely, you commit an administrative offense for which a fine of up to 10,000 EUR can be imposed. In addition, this may cast doubt on the reliability of the person responsible under weapons law and the club's weapons possession card may be withdrawn.

    When submitting your application, you must provide information on both the storage location and the container in which you intend to store weapons and ammunition. The storage requirements are based on Section 13 of the General Weapons Act Ordinance (AWaffV). In case of doubt, please contact the authority responsible for you.

    In principle, you can orient yourself to the following requirements:
    • You must store ammunition requiring a permit in a sheet steel cabinet/container with a swing bolt lock or an equivalent locking device.
    • To store long guns and handguns requiring a permit, you need a gun cabinet. The type of gun cabinet you need depends on the number and type of weapons and/or ammunition you want to acquire and possess.
      • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 according to the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard with a weight of up to 200 kilograms, you may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 5 handguns and ammunition.
      • In a firearms cabinet with resistance grade 0 in accordance with the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard with a weight of over 200 kilograms, you may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 10 handguns and ammunition.
      • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade I according to the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard, you may store an unlimited number of long guns and handguns as well as ammunition.
    • The following rule applies to the place where you are allowed to install the gun cabinet: If you live in a common household with another person who is also entitled to possess weapons, you may store the weapons in a common gun cabinet.
    • It is also permitted to store weapons and ammunition with a weapons dealer. You must provide appropriate proof of this.


You must apply for permission to acquire and possess weapons and/or ammunition requiring a permit from the relevant weapons authority. Submit the application together with the required documents.

The weapons authority will grant you the permit if you meet the necessary requirements.



Required documents

  • The following documents are required:

    • Identity card or passport (copy)
    • Extract from the register of associations
    • Proof of expertise (responsible person)
    • Proof of storage, e.g. purchase contract for a gun cabinet and/or photos of gun cabinet and place of installation
    • If under 21 years of age: medical or psychological certificate of mental fitness of the responsible person.


  • The fees for the issuance of the weapon possession card range from 30 to 200 EUR.


administrative claim

Status: 10.03.2023

Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.